cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N bringing LAN to its knees

dfosbenner
Level 1
Level 1

I have a two WAP4410N’s. WAP#1 is configured as an Access Point with “Allow wireless signal to be repeated by a repeater” checked. WAP#2 is configured as a Wireless WDS Repeater. Both are running firmware 2.0.4.2, with WPA2 Personal. Each gets it’s IP addresses via DHCP.

The APs run fine for weeks, and then suddenly I start getting complaints from users of the wired Ethernet LAN that everything is “frozen”. A quick check shows a massive amount of traffic on the wired LAN coming from the WAP, such that the LAN is virtually unusable. My Ethernet switch shows a large amount of Rx errors on the port for WAP#1.  As soon as I unplug the WAP from the LAN switch, the LAN goes back to normal. I plug the WAP back in, and the network slows to its knees. A simple way to see this visually is setup a ping session from one wired client to another. As soon as I plug in WAP#1, the pings start timing out.

I did some experimenting with this today. With NO wireless clients enabled, and WAP#2 powered down, I plugged in WAP#1 – no problem. However, when I powered up WAP#2, the LAN bogged down again. Unplugged WAP#2, and back to normal. Next I tried to connect to WAP#1 via a web browser, and it wouldn’t bring me to the logon page, even though WAP#1 was responding to ping. I power cycled WAP#1, now everything is working normally again.

In summary – for some inexplicable reason, the WAP4410N is going into a mode where it is sending so much traffic to the wired network that it is slowing it to a crawl. The biggest problem I have with this at the moment is that if it happens when I (the only IT guy) is out of the office, I have no way to stop it. I can’t remote in, or anything, because of the interruption to the LAN.

I would really like to get this figured out and fixed. I replaced WAP#1 with a brand new WAP4410N, and that didn’t help. I don’t have any other ideas.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hi David,

I have a few questions for you. Is WAP#2 attached to anything? Are you using one SSID? Are both WAPs on the same channel?

Robert,

WAP#2 isn't attached to anything, it gets its signal from WAP#1.

Yes, I am using one SSID.

Both WAP's are using channel 6.

Both are in Mixed B/G/N mode, as we need to support all these.

David,

Do you have a packet capture of the traffic that is being generated?

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

I don't.  Is there a utility you can recommend that I can use to do such a capture?  I'm willing to try it the next time this issue arises.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: