cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N - mode bgn, Data rate with mixed g & n clients

Regs
Level 1
Level 1

Does the data rate to N connected clients go down to G rate if there is even a single G client connected?

2 Replies 2

davidagu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello James,

Thank you for writing. The relationship between modes and effective client data rates breaks down as follows:

• B, G, or N Only: The WAP only accepts clients for the particular mode defined. Clients will operate at up to the defined data rate (11 Mbps for B, 54 Mbps for G, and up to 300 Mbps for N).

• B/G Mixed: The WAP will accecpt both B and G clients at their respective data rates. N clients will netotiate at the G data rate.

• B/G/N Mixed: The WAP will connect all clients at their respective data rates. B clients will negotiate at only up to 11 Mbps. N clients can netogiate at up to a theoretical 300 Mbps. The WAP will accept multiple modes simulationoulsy. However, your effective data rate will only be as fast as the slowest mode connected. Therefore, connecting a B device will lower your overall data rate.

More information on this topic is found on page 28 of the Administration Guide: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap4410n/administration/guide/WAP4410N_Admin_Guide.pdf

Do not hestiate to contact us anytime.

-David Aguilar

Cisco Small Business Support Engineer

1-866-606-1866

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Let me clarify one thing that my colleague mentioned above. During B/G/N mixed mode, if you have 3 devices connected at N and a G device then connects. The N speeds will start negotiating at G speeds. As well, if you then have a B device connect, the G and N devices will start negotiating at B speeds.

Your data rate will only be as fast as your slowest device.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: