Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410n Multiple SSID not showing

aaron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We just got a WAP4410n and cant seem to get multiple SSID's to show up when searching for them.

Only SSID1 shows up in Kismet or any other type of Wifi detector software, is it supposed to be like this?

I would imagine that it should display both SSID's

Mynetwork1

Mynetwork2

Instead of just Mynetwork1, I have tried everything i can think of to connect to the second one but nothing seems to work.

Some help or an explantion would be good.

Thanks

40 Replies 40

I'm from Italy, I called small business Italy support.

I was only lucky to found a great Cisco network engineer

I have to configure 2 vlan/ssid as you, so I hope that this beta firmware resolve!

I regret to inform you that I can publish the beta firmware.
The email of support below:

Dear MR Andrea Armellini,

My name is xxxxxxxx,

Escalation Engineer for the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

I am writing you in regard to your service request number 614643679.

First of all thanks for bringing this problem to our attention.

A new beta firmware for the WAP4410N is available which fixes the multiple ssid problem on certain units.

Unfortunately I cannot simply send you a copy of this file yet, instead you should have received another message with instructions to follow in order to accept a beta user agreement.

As soons as you will accept the agreement I will be notified and I will than be authorized to send you a copy of this beta file.

Please let me know if you have received this message or if you have any problem signing the agreement.

You then need to contact support for small business area, perhaps indicating a link of this debate as I did, or best, my service request number, so you can receive the beta firmware for your unit.

Quick response from Cisco.

Performed procedures and bureaucracy, download 2.0.2.1 beta firmware and the problem is resolved.

Please contact Cisco small business support and signal the case number that i posted in my prev post, so they can help you too.

I can't attach the firmarware.

I just contacted support with the same issue - they prompted me to visit here to try and push for a quicker release on the firmware.

So heres my attempt at getting the new or beta firmware tested and brought to the community faster

Hi Cain,

Correct me if I am wrong.  I hope you got the beta code that resolved your issue, i hope?

Your post is an attempt to get the beta software pushed through legalities and testing  faster, I guess ?  I guess the comments from SBSC regarding "visit here to try and push for a quicker release on the firmware" is interesting.

I must admit because we use GNU General Public License code on this product, cisco has to go through a lot of legalities which rightly slows the process of making code Generally Available (GA).

Interesting thread,  ..thanks for this posting, I'll find out more about this issue, If i have any news, I'll post it.

regards Dave

SMB Channel Systems Engineer

Research Triangle Park, USA

Hi Dave,

No I havent recevied the beta firmware as I haven't called back to use the above case no.

This is our 4th unit, so I was a bit suprised when this 4th unit didnt work as expected, plus we have 2 more on back order.

If you're able to send me the firmware without me having to call up again I'd appreciate it.

Hi Cain,

I feel the pain, but as Andrea showed in a copied email from Cisco Small Business Support.

They said " Unfortunately I cannot simply send you a copy of this file yet, instead you should have received another message with instructions to follow in order to accept a beta user agreement.

As soons as you will accept the agreement I will be notified and I will than be authorized to send you a copy of this beta file."

I Think you will have to

step 1. contact SBSC  via the following location; Could be good to reference that Case Number if you wish , if the symptoms are exactly the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Step 2.  They will escalate your issue to Level 2 support, who hold the software beta.

Step 3.  They will ask you , for legal reasons to accept a beta user agreement, this step is quick and done online.

Because the software is  BETA still and not in a Generally Available (GA) status, according to the GNU license that Cisco adheres to,  we have to be very very correct in how we release software.  So you must go through these steps yourself.

Two years ago, i would have sent you the software, but now, for legal reasons my hands are tied.

Regards  Dave

Ha, they want us to come here and BEG them to fix a known product defect with a faster firmware release?!?

I contacted tech support as well (Case 614674681) and they told me I could either:

1. ship my NEW unit to Cisco for a refurbished one (yeah right!)

2. return it to the place of purchase (NewEgg) for a refund, and buy a new one.

So I did option 2.  I purchased a new one, with the intent to return the original once replaced.  Guess what?
I RECEIVED A SECOND DEFECTIVE UNIT with MAC starting in "68"

(I even told them to check before sending it to me).  Now I have two  pending RMA's. 

Why can't Cisco fix this, instead of shipping KNOWN DEFECTIVE  PRODUCTS?!?  This is absolutely ridiculous!

All of these units with the  offending MAC addresses should be pulled from the factory immediately.

...but as of today, they continue to ship!!

This is just begging for a class action suit...

and they expect us to come here and beg for a quicker firmware release?

Up until today, I have been a very loyal Cisco advocate.  I only purchase their products for my clients.

After seeing how they handle this, I am strongly reconsidering that stance for my business and my clients.

I got the beta firmware from Cisco and applied to my unit - it now broadcasts the multiple SSID's.

Also received 2 more units with MAC "54" and these also dont broadcast multiple SSID's, so its not only units with MAC 68

So far units starting with MAC address 68 and 54 seem to have this problem so hopefully the firmware comes out of beta soon

Yeas Cain,

From what I gather this issue is resolved through software. I guess you got the beta code via calling into the Small Business Support Center and allowing them to escalate the issue ?

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes contacting SB support again and receiving the beta software, my AP's now broadcast multiple SSID's

Cheers

Hi,

the device has been laying on my table for more than a month and our local CISCO SB support hasn't been able to offer me any solution nor beta programme participation. Finally, I've decided to fill in RMA request and I'm going to return the unit back to reseller. Furthermore I've found a device from Netgear with similar parameters, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks a lot CISCO for your support...

Petr

While my Cisco support guy is very friendly and understanding, he said he couldn't get me the Beta firmware either.  Now we're still stuck.  What a joke.

What is the model of the comparable Netgear?  Does it support multiple SSID and VLAN?  I can't believe I'd ever consider leaving Cisco for Netgear, but this issue is completely unexcusable.  I can't believe they won't do anything about it in a timely manner!

Multiple SSID and VLAN is important for us too, so I'm thinking about ProSafe WNAP210 or WG302.
Check out the Netgear website at http://netgear.com/Products/APsWirelessControllers/AccessPoints.aspx for more information.

Petr

Hi Petr,

Yep the Technician at the Small Business Support Center is  correct he can't directly give you software, because he hasn't got it.

He or she has to escalate your case number to their next level of support and those guys will interface with you directly to  get you the beta code.

I will unicast you  directly.

regards Dave.