cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N stops responding

shepner2000
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new WAP4410N AP that was put in service a couple weeks ago.  After a few days of normal operation, the AP hangs.  Typically during a large file transfer. To fix, I have to power cycle the device.

When this occurs, all of the lights on the display look normal, the computer is still connected but no data will pass.  It is not possible to ping the AP.

I have a fairly basic config on the AP.  I currently have restricted use to a single Thinkpad using 802.11g and WPA2 to help reduce variables

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a known problem?  What is the (or is there a) solution?

Thanks!

stephen

9 Replies 9

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, not a "know problem" that I've seen.  However, make sure you are running the most current Firmware (1.0.12 appears to be the latest).  If you are or that does not clear things up then it would seem a call to the Small Business Support Center is in order to furhter trouble-shoot/repair/replace the unit.

Best Regards,

mrazmik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stephen, we are taking this issue very seriously and trying to replicate it in our lab. Could you please provide us the following information?

1. The operating system and version running in your Thinkpad laptop
  2. NIC model and driver version
  3. File transfer, is it FTP or from/to mapped drive
  4. size of the file you are transferring
  5. Is this the only AP in the network.
  6. I am assuming you verified and there aren’t any duplicate IP addresses.
  7. After rebooting the AP did you check the system log for any error message entries?

Thank you

btw, Im now using a HP laptop instead but the problem is still occurring.  Here is the info you requested with this laptop:

1. The operating system and version running in your Thinkpad laptop
Windows XP

2. NIC model and driver version
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG  (this is what came with the laptop)
Driver version 11.1.1.16

3. File transfer, is it FTP or from/to mapped drive
mapped drives, remote desktop etc.  Anything that requires data transfer

4. size of the file you are transferring
Havnt found any specific thing that causes this.  For a bit I was trying some tests to see if I could find some specific conditions that would cause this but didnt have much luck.  Most recently its happened while rapidly browsing a graphics intensive web (http://img.moonbuggy.org) via RDP.

5. Is this the only AP in the network.
Yes.  Sometime some of the APs in the neighborhood will show up (different channels) but they are somewhat distant and Im within 20' of this one.

6. I am assuming you verified and there aren’t any duplicate IP addresses.  Correct.  Plus, the DHCP server manages the addresses.

7. After rebooting the AP did you check the system log for any error message entries?
No log entries.  But then it keeps turning off all the log settings everytime I power cycle it.  (yes I do save the changes)

stephen

mrazmik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please change WAP4410N/192.168.2.5 gaqteway address to 192.168.2.2.1

you have it configured it to 192.168.2.3 which is the other WAP4410N.

WAP4410N is a L2 device cannot route. 

Thank you

Razmik

bhummel99
Level 1
Level 1

My problems appear to have been fixed by the new firmware. My Wireless-N link has stayed up for 4 days now. It has never stayed up this long.

I am using TWO WAP4410N's as a bridge to link my house and my barn which is 120 yards aways and separated by a lot of Oak trees.

My other wireless G access points are really spread out and don't overlap, so I have them all on CHANNEL 11.   I have locked my 4410N's to CHANNEL 2.   I have the bandwidth set to 40Mhz. They are set to Wireless-N only. They have their own SSID and they are set to only talk to each other.

I have been beating them up as hard as I can.  (Normal usage!)   I work out of my tack room in the barn creating www.CarShowCity.com

Here's what apps I have been using down in the barn:

SLINGBOX HD VIDEO

CISCO VOIP PHONE

MICROSOFT OUTLOOK & EXCHANGE SERVER

D-LINK PTZ CAMERA IN HOUSE

LOGMEIN.COM SUPPORT FOR 20 COMPUTERS

So far no stuttering or data drops.  I don't know if I am out of the woods yet, but I am very encouraged! This is a good start for me at least.

Thanks Cisco.

Make that 11 days up now with NO problems.  Even have a good hard rain falling right now.  No drops!   120-yard distance between each bridge from house to my barn.

I think Cisco finally fixed the connection problems!

I kept my same configuration, all I did is upgrade the firmware.

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Good Morning,

I want to see if you are able to resolve you question / problems with WAP4410N and offer my help in answering your wuestions.

Feel free to post back if you still have questions and need my help.

Have a great day :)

matthew.hewson
Level 1
Level 1

I've now been running two 4410Ns for a number of weeks now, both came with firmware 2.0.0.5 straight out of the box, both are being used in access point mode with WPA encryption, and I still have yet to experience the level of problems mentioned here. I have, however, had a minor issue with my personal laptop disassociating with the AP every once in a while and for no apparent reason, and this certainly didn't happen with my old APs, but that could be purely coincidental - I can reconnect again straight away, no need to reboot the AP.

cindy toy
Level 7
Level 7

Hello everyone,

Thank you for participating in this thread.

This thread has been so active that it was becoming difficult to differentiate each question from each user.  Therefore I have branched out all the threads into individual discussions so that we can address each persons individual issues and have locked this thread.

Several teams, including Support and Product Engineering, are working to resolve issues associated with the WAP4410N. In order to provide the best possible information, we need details of your issue.

Please contact the Small Business Support Center at 1 866 606 1866. You'll find a list of international support numbers here: www.cisco.com/go/sbsc. The information you provide to our Support Engineers could help resolve similar issues so thank you in advance.

If you have already contacted the Small Business Support Center, please provide us with your case number in your question.

Best regards,

Cindy Toy

Cisco Small Business

Support Community Manager

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: