cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N thinks I'm in Venezuela

andyo
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I just installed my new WAP4410, replacing an old Access Point that wasn't working with my new Android Phone. The good news is that most everything works well. The bad news is that the Android Phone, a Motorola Razr Maxx, now thinks I'm in Venezuela.

I'm not. I'm in New Jersey. My laptop (also connecting via the WAP4410) knows that. But my phone thinks I'm in Venezuela. Both the Weatherbug app and Google's websearch think I'm in Venezuela. The Google maps program thought I was in Venezuela at first, but then decided that I was here in NJ.

I'm unclear if this is a WAP issue or an Android issue, so I thought I'd try posting it here.

5 Replies 5

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

What is the serial number of the device that you have installed, also where did you purchase the unit from? If you mouse over my information on the left, you should find my email if you would perfer to send it to me that way.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your quick response. The serial number is SER153400HD. I bought it from Amazon. And I upgraded it to the 2.0.4.2 firmware, which I believe is the latest.

Okay, so far today, the WAP has retained its grasp of geographic reality. It may just be that something, somewhere needed to be cached. I'm keeping my eyes peeled, but at the moment, the phone realizes that it's still in New Jersey.

I'm concerned that this might be because typically when the phone latches onto a Wifi signal, it detaches the data connection from the Cellular network. Today, I'm not sure that is happening. So it may be that it's getting it's location from Verizon rather than from the WAP.

Hello Sir,

I was asking for the sn# thinking that maybe this device may have originated in a different country. But my research does not support that. (we have some products that are made specifically for different countries or regions)

Going through the settings for the WAP I have not seen anything as of yet that could contribute to your issue. Please keep us informed of any reoccurrence.

Eric Moyers

Hi Eric,

It's okay again today. I don't understand what happened on the first day, but since then I have been safely in New Jersey, not Venezeuela. Too bad. I liked the idea of 90 degree weather in February.