Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WAP551 cannot connect

I have 2 of these devices in a warehouse environment, the two warehouses are located right next to each other with a single tunnel connecting both warehouse floors. One of these devices functions more or less fine, after dialing in channel and transmission power settings for the area. The other one, we will call it “plant 2” flat out does not work. Sometimes I can even pick up the other device in the other plant from plant 2’s floor, but never long enough to actually authenticate.

There are a few sources of interference, being a factory floor. The main one is  a UV paint line that I have never been able to definitively say is or is not interfering on wifi bands. I don’t have the equipment to do any sort of site survey, unfortunately.

I have logs and diagnostics files available.

Are there specific settings I should be using in this sort of environment? I don't need any fancy functionality, the wifi network is exclusively for handheld scanner guns to connect to our ERP via telnet.

1 REPLY

My name Eric Moyers. I am an

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue.

The absolute best thing to do, would be to call into our Small Business Support Center and create a case. Just to make you aware when doing so the things that they will ask (I understand you already have most of this) for will be:

Logs

Diagnostic Files

WIreless Scans of area. There is a great free program here: http://www.ampedwireless.com/files/Amped_Wireless_WAT_1.0.msi

Also there are some preliminary Setting changes you can make.

1) Go to the Wireless-Bandwidth Utilization tab and disable Bandwidth Utilization.
2) Go to the Wireless-Radio tab and under Legacy Rate Sets supported and basic disable rates 1, 2, and 5.5. 
3) Change fixed multicast from auto to 54.
4) Prolong the "Broadcast key refresh rate" duration from 300 seconds to 3000 seconds.

If this does not improve your issue, please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you. Also Let me know the case number and I can check in on the case with the engineer. I either work in the same center as they do or if they are in a different center they know me and exactly how reach me. 

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Technical Support | Wireless and Surveillance Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content