Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP561 keeps becoming unresponsive.

Kirkland Yuknis
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

We have a Cisco WAP561 for our organization that keeps randomly going down. I can't find any commonality in each of the cases. The following are the symptoms:

1. All connections are dropped, both networks from the WAP become undiscoverable.

2. When I go to the switch, it shows that the WAP is no longer connected. All other functions on that switch continue to operate normally.

3. I can not access the dashboard in my browser with a computer connected to the switch in another room.

3. Lights are lit to indicate normal operation, even though the WAP in its entirety is down.

4. The room is theatre-like, so the room is not the issue.

There were 29 connections last time it went down, which is typical at this time.

The solution (at the moment) is to unplug and plug it back in. But this is unacceptable, as key elements (soundboard and video streaming) of our setup are controlled wirelessly via iPads.

Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

-Kirkland

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

36 Replies 36

Eric,

OK, I have to get this SmartNet for this WAP...do you have someone I can call...I try to do it online and I keep getting redirected to the UK.

Thanks,

John

Where are you located? Also how long have you had the Access Point?

Eric Moyers

Yes, I have had them less than a year...I will try calling that number.

Once you get a case number, let me know and I can check in on it from my side.

Eric Moyers

Eric,

The Cisco Case # is 636615061

Hello John Orzechowski,

This is your confirmation that Support Case Number 636615061 was successfully opened on-line with the Cisco
Technical Assistance Center. Here are the details of the support case:

CISCO.COM ID:jorzecho65 
SUPPORT CASE:636615061 
SUPPORT CASE TITLE:US-WAP561 / intermittent drop/lock of wifi connection 
SEVERITY:3 

The next available Cisco Customer Support Engineer will contact you shortly to assist you with your technical
support issue.

I see your case and that it has been assigned to Mihail. I will offer any assistance if he needs it and keep tabs on it.

Eric Moyers

Eric,

I just wanted to follow up on case #636615061.  I sent Mihail a couple of emails, but have not heard anything back.

Thanks,

John

I just sent a note to Mihail asking what was going on? I also copied you on it. Please keep me informed.

Eric Moyers

Eric,

Do you know what my CCOID is?

Reacted too fast, just looked up your CCOID. If you have had your device less than a year, You can call 1-866-606-1866 for free phone support. No SmartNET needed. 

Eric Moyers

Nevermind, I quickly found your case.

You are currently working with Nelson. That is the best place to be. He has the ear of the development team and from the case notes, I can tell he is already talking to them.

I will continue to follow this case and the next time Nelson and I am in a meeting together, which is almost weekly, I will ask him about your case.

Thank you for reaching out to me and please contact me anytime. If you click on my picture it should bring up my email.

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

Wireless Subject Matter Expert

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:30 - 18:30 (UTC - 05:00)

Just to be clear Nelson is doing a great job in helping me, I just want there to be added visibility, that I am not an isolated case.  There are multiple reports of these same symptoms across the 121, 321 and 561 (that I can find) so there is definitely something bigger at play here, then just my scenario. As I explained to Nelson, my contract with my customer is at risk because I recommended these products and if we don't figure out what is going on asap we are in big trouble.  I actually just disabled clustering and implemented the recommendations from another post about Green ethernet (was already done), 54Mb rate and Discovery - Bonjour.  I'm hopeful that something might make a difference, and if we can isolate the issue so it can be resolved and others don't experience the same problem I would be VERY happy!

I'd like to also put in my 'vote' for some additional attention on this issue. I recently purchased two WAP561 and am experiencing the same issue as described in the posts above.

I have exactly the same problem since day one.  I installed eight WAP561 units in 6 sites recently. Users in the two sites with 2 WAPs each always have trouble connecting every day until the WAPs are reboot. I was lucky enough to have TAC support look into the issue once.  TAC suggested that I update the firmware, I had the latest firmware version 1.1.0.4 at the time, disable Single Point Setup and manually set the Radio 1 to a less crowded channel.  I did as instructed but the issue persisted.  The next time I try to get support only to find that I have to get SMARTnet in order to get help.  I was disappointed and discouraged that I could not even recommend Cisco to the client with confidence any more.  I am about to replace them all with a cheaper brand/model.  Any help will be appreciated !  Thanks in advance !

Hi, 

I have 2 units of WAP551 and 1 unit of WAP4410N. I have updated to the latest firmware. Reset the units to factory default and still having the same problem. 

Did anyone find solution for the above issues. Please update. thanks