cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Welcome to the Technologies for Small and Medium Businesses Discussion

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Connection Small and Medium Business Forum. This conversation will provide you the opportunity to discuss Small and Medium Business technology issues. We encourage everyone to share their knowledge and start conversations about technology challenges you might be facing while running a Small to Medium Business.

Remember, just like in the workplace, be courteous to your fellow forum participants. Please refrain from using disparaging or obscene language or posting advertisements.

We encourage you to tell your fellow networking professionals about the site.

Regards,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Moderator

2 Replies 2

noldy2001
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for your warm welcome. i'm anew guy around and happy to join you all....godd day.

i'm a new it staff in my ofice and we want to set up a lan in a four-story, old structured building. its too difficult to drill holes. how can we interconnect each floor switch through wireless?

So how is this for a specific answer...it depends... :-). Your questions begs a bit more information, most notably, what are your networking needs for this office both now and in the next 5 years? Wireless may be just fine for your needs but things like either bandwidth heavy applications, applications that need a predictable quality of service...like voice or video...these can all make a big difference. The other thing to consider is how you will innerconnect your networking peripherals like printers. These devices will probably not natively support wireless and would require a compatible piece of hardware...not expensive but may not be trivial.

My best advice is that you should engage a Cisco partner with wireless expertise. A site survey will be critical to this decision, especially since I don't know what the composition of the construction is...that same partner can provide you with much better advice on your specific situation given a good physicaly review of the facility. Let me know if you need assistance finding a partner.

Robb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: