cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WET200 WEP ok, but no WPA/WPA2 with WAG325N

JulianBond
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed a WET200 to connect two printers to my wireless network (replacing two WP54G Print Servers), and bridge to a WAG325N Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway.

Previously I was using WEP, but intended to upgrade to WPA or WPA2.

I can get all equipment to communicate fine via WEP.

I can also get everything other than the WRT200 (two laptops, two PDAs) to communicate with the WAG325N Gateway via WPA or WPA2.

But I can't get the WET200 to talk to the WAG325N.

I've updated the firmware on the WET200 to 1.0.12 and powered off/on.

I'm sure the WPA passphase is correct (cut & past from file).

I can see from other threads that there are some known problems in this area linking to other manufacturers, but mine are both Linksys.

Anybody got some ideas of what else I should be checking for or settings I might have missed?

21 Replies 21

JulianBond
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you David for swiftly bringing an answer, and for ending my hours of fruitless testing.

(I can't say that I'm ecstatic with the answer. It's well overdue for the product development guys at Linksys to get this issue sorted with a Firmware upgrade, rather than leave it to Support to apologise for the fact that it doesn't work as advertised. It is fairly clear from this forum that the issue has been known about by Linksys for long enough now ....)

No problem Julian.

Let me update you on the most recent correspondence I have received on this issue from Cisco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 14 October 2009 09:54
Subject: Sev3 SR 612683655 : WET200-G5 / WAG325N will not connect with WPA only WEP

Dear Sir,

I am Luca Buongiorno, Escalation Engineer for the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Unfortunately the WET200 has some problem handling dynamic encryption mechanism (like wpa/wpa2), we are actually working on a fix for that.

I will keep you informed as soon as I have any update at this regard.

Many thanks for reporting this issue to our attention.

Luca Buongiorno

EMEA Case Management Escalation Engineer Cisco Small Business Technology Group

Just like all the other disgruntled WET200 users who can't get the unit to work using WPA/WPA2 (even with other Linksys equipment), I eagerly awaited the new version of firmware 2.0.0.5 which would surely solve my problems.  We've certainly been waiting long enough!

I started to have some doubts when the release notes made no mention of the problem, but was heartened when a Cisco engineer asked to feedback on whether I had success.

So I can now reveal .... that the updated firmware makes no progress in overcoming the units inability to communicate via WPA/WPA2!

Come on Cisco!  What about a firmware release that resolves the issue!!!!!

Good news - firmware 2.0.3.2 is now available.  Bad news - the release notes makes no mention of addressing this problem.  I'll report back when I've had a chance to test, but am not holding my breath.

(Has anybody within Cisco any idea why their development colleagues are releasing new firmware, without apparently making any attempt to resolve this issue? There are enough other forum posts and logged customer issues to indicate the significance of the problem).

I am pleased to confirm that the latest firmware 2.0.3.2 resolves my problem, allowing a WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK connection between my WET200 and Linksys WAG325N.

Many thanks Cisco!  (I'm relatively secure at last)

i can also confirm, that the latest firmware fixed the problem. It was about time.

thanks