cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which APs allow clustering with an AP541N?

paulstretch
Level 1
Level 1

I have one AP541N and need to extend the wireless network with a second wireless AP.  Which models of AP can I use with the AP541N to achieve a 'cluster', please? Is it just with a second AP541N or can I use other Cisco APs to achieve the cluster?

Am I correct in thinking that doing this will allow wireless clients to 'roam' seamlessly between the two APs?

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

To the best of my knowledge, the AP541N will only cluster with other AP541N's.

The clustering option with AP541N's is strictly for ease of management. It allows multiple AP541N's to share configuration information to speed setup, reduce wireless channel interference and simplify management. What is actually shared between the AP's is Wireless Network Identifier, Security features, User Names and Passwords, Traffic Priorities, Radio Settings and Wireless Interface settings.

The Ap541N has what is called Fast Client Roaming capability, not Seamless Roaming. The difference here is that seamless roaming uses a Wireless LAN Controller to help monitor signal strength between the AP and a connecting client. When the signal degrades to a certain point the WLC will automatically switch the wireless client over to the next strongest signal.

With Fast Client Roaming the AP is using a Fast Roaming Protocol. With this there is a slight disconnect and then reconnect from one AP to the next strongest one. Note: you may experience lost packets as the device jumps between AP's, but the connection should not be lost. Should being the main word. Depending on environment and congestion, if the reassociation takes too long, the connection may be dropped.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

To the best of my knowledge, the AP541N will only cluster with other AP541N's.

The clustering option with AP541N's is strictly for ease of management. It allows multiple AP541N's to share configuration information to speed setup, reduce wireless channel interference and simplify management. What is actually shared between the AP's is Wireless Network Identifier, Security features, User Names and Passwords, Traffic Priorities, Radio Settings and Wireless Interface settings.

The Ap541N has what is called Fast Client Roaming capability, not Seamless Roaming. The difference here is that seamless roaming uses a Wireless LAN Controller to help monitor signal strength between the AP and a connecting client. When the signal degrades to a certain point the WLC will automatically switch the wireless client over to the next strongest signal.

With Fast Client Roaming the AP is using a Fast Roaming Protocol. With this there is a slight disconnect and then reconnect from one AP to the next strongest one. Note: you may experience lost packets as the device jumps between AP's, but the connection should not be lost. Should being the main word. Depending on environment and congestion, if the reassociation takes too long, the connection may be dropped.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive reply.

I had a suspicion it only worked with other AP541N units, but was hoping I was wrong. Using another AP541N makes it a very expensive solution. Although it's not as expensive as using a wirless controller, which I assume would be a better soultion but gets very expensive for a small office with only two APs.

Thanks again