Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Does not get an IP from ISP on WAN port

tozar1199
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got an out of the box WRVS4400N and it will not pick up a DHCP IP from the ISP.

I reset to factory defaults, tried another ISP, returned and got a second wrvs4400n all the same results - no IP address on the WAN port. The internet LEDs are blinking but no IP on WAN port and no internet connection from a laptop connected to wrvs4400n.

I even tried turning of the firewall too.

Is there something with these routers that needs to be done for internet access?

Most typical small routers are just set up as a DHCP client on the WAN side and DHCP server on the LAN side.

This seems too simple so if anyone has any ideas, I'd much appreciate it.

Roy

2 Replies 2

hirenparekh12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1st check with ISP, as per my knowladge ISP will provide Static IP or any dialer based services (like PPPoE etc)

is there any other setting on WAN port like PPPoE or other.

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Roy,

Thank you for posting. If your ISP is providing a DHCP WAN address, first plug a PC into the modem and make sure it gets an IP and you can connect to the internet. Then plug the WAN port of the router to the modem and THE SAME PC to one of the LAN ports. Log into the router from that PC and go to Setup-> MAC Address Clone. Select "Enable" and press "Clone my PC's MAC". If you do not get an IP on the WAN port, reboot the modem and check again.

This procedure usually resolves the issue that you are having. Sometimes the modem will give an IP to a PC but not the router. Cloning the MAC address essentially tricks the modem into thinking that it is connected to the PC and it usually provides an IP as it should.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: