cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to create dataset profil to retrieve serial number (and more) of unknown/unsupported devices?

Nicolas MATHEY
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We do have few non Cisco devices we need to keep track also at least using serial number. I saw some HP Procurve devices are able to be collected but we have for instance Riverbed steelhead appliances that are just missing serial number (ie. OS version, Vendor name are properly collected).

I did tried to create a custom dataset and platform definition rule but I'm not sure how to match OID request result with Collector Serial Number field.

The online help didn't help me this why I'm asking to the community. Any idea?

BTW, are we allowed the share custom dataset/platforms definitions on this forum?

Thanks,

Nicolas.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Nicolas,

Given that the target devices here are Non Cisco devices, We would like to focus on that a little bit. Information about network devices from other vendors may appear in some Smart Net Total Care reports. SNTC gathers only basic information that can be obtained from standard SNMP MIBs from non-Cisco devices. Third party devices are not fully processed and analyzed the way Cisco devices are, and are shown in reports only to account for all the IP addresses the customer asked to be collected. In these reports they are clearly marked as third party.

If the same questions applies to Cisco devices, we will be happy to address that

Thanks

-Sanjeev

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nicolas MATHEY
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my config so far:

Working platform defintion:

Riverbed dataset for serial number SNMP/OID:

Riverbed dataset

But now I don't how to tell the collector engine result need to be recorded into the S/N fields of the device properties.

Regards,

Nicolas.

Hello Nicolas,

Given that the target devices here are Non Cisco devices, We would like to focus on that a little bit. Information about network devices from other vendors may appear in some Smart Net Total Care reports. SNTC gathers only basic information that can be obtained from standard SNMP MIBs from non-Cisco devices. Third party devices are not fully processed and analyzed the way Cisco devices are, and are shown in reports only to account for all the IP addresses the customer asked to be collected. In these reports they are clearly marked as third party.

If the same questions applies to Cisco devices, we will be happy to address that

Thanks

-Sanjeev

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: