Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Get pcap data file via API

Hi experts,

I have a question about API capability for pcap file.

I want to deploy the following workflow system.

1, Firepower filter and capture malformed packets in accordance with IPS rule.

2, Firepower management center sends syslog alert to SIEM system about the filtering or capturing.

3, The SIEM gets the pcap file that related to the syslog alert via API.

[Q]

Does firepower management center support the API to get pcap file?

Regards,

Kenjiro Kanemaki

3 Replies 3

dohurd
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There two ways I know of to obtain the PCAP for a specific Snort (IDS/IPS) event.

1. Request packets through the eStreamer API.  You'll get all the packets all the time.  It is possible to request a specific PCAP through estreamer but I'm not entirely sure how thats done. Arcsight does using the timestamp for the Snort event but this approach is prone to error (see no.2).

2. Using the JDBC interface you can request a packet using Timestamp, Event ID and device name from the Snort event.  This tuple of information assures that you'll get _the_ correct packet and is a better way to implement option 1.

Thank you very much for your quick answer! I'll consider it with the two ways.

Do you have any further instructions on retrieving the PCAP via JDBC? I can't seem to retrieve a usable capture at this time - just the hex. The binary pull doesn't supply anything that is viewable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card