Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Calculating STP cost (again)

hi everybody,

i read really a lot of stuff to understand how STP calculate the designated path cost to the root bridge

and i apologize to those who would say "why do create a topic again about a thing that is well known",

but, again sorry,  i never understand this thing deep down

So i create my own small lab to see what happens exactly: with GNS3 i emulate a CISCO SW with a router C3745 and the slot NM-16ESW. So Fa1/0 to 1/15 on each SW became working like in a switch

I do this simple lab with 4 SW like figure 1 and figure 2 show it

Figure 1 shows what i found on R4: designated path cost for Fa1/0 (= port 41) is 19

Figure 2 shows what i found on R2:: designated path cost for Fa1/0 (= port 41) is also 19

This is quite not comprehensive for me: why starting from Fa1/0 in R4 the path cost to R1 (SW root) is the same that starting from Fa1/0 in R2 ? This is greatly what i don't understand.

At the same time, i track the BPDUs with Wireshark (see in figure 3)

We see the MAC destination multicast 0180.c200.0000

But we see the source that is (in this exemple) Fa1/0 in R2: why the MAC is c402.1648.f100 instead of the real MAC c402.1648.0000?

Thank you

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

the path cost for vlan 1 on R2 is 19 while the path cost on r4 to r1 for vlan 1 is 38 , the 19 is the actual port cost as its an FE port but the overall cost is for the vlan to get to the R1 by either router which is under the vlan

fig1 cost is 38

fig2 cost is 19

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

the path cost for vlan 1 on R2 is 19 while the path cost on r4 to r1 for vlan 1 is 38 , the 19 is the actual port cost as its an FE port but the overall cost is for the vlan to get to the R1 by either router which is under the vlan

fig1 cost is 38

fig2 cost is 19

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card