cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding an additional module

reidg
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to add an additional module into a 9216i, can anyone confirm if this can be done live, or is the mds required to be powered down.

ta in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

There will be some chatter overy your backplane if you say insert an IPS blade. However you should not expect a disruption of service while inserting a new module in the 9200 or 9500 series of FC switches.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

There will be some chatter overy your backplane if you say insert an IPS blade. However you should not expect a disruption of service while inserting a new module in the 9200 or 9500 series of FC switches.

thanks for the info Guys

inch
Level 3
Level 3

Howdy,

Spot on with Colin, line cards can be added/removed without any disruption :-)

Cheers

Andrew

One thing to look for is that you have the right SAN-OS version on the switch for the card you are going to insert. Eg, if you are going to put in the 4 Gb ports, you need to have 3.0.1 or higher. A vendor who shall remain nameless here sold us a switch and a 48 port card and that card failed dismally when the switch was powered on. I found the SAN-OS verion pre-installed on the switch was 2.something. The vendor has no idea on why the module was not working....

Stephen

mathewoften
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to add a 48 port 4GB G2 module into a 9509 director with G1 SUPs. Assuming I have the right SAN OS, can I just plug it in on the fly? Is there anythnig I need to do to get the new module recognized?

You can do this live. In order for the module to be recognized, you need to run SANOS Release 3.0 or later.

Also, since you will be running a mixed Gen-1/Gen-2 module configuration, make sure that the director does not exceed 252 ports after you added the card or it will not come online.

If you need to upgrade from a 2.x to a 3.x release, talk to your storage vendor first to make sure that you have a smooth upgrade path.

Ralf.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: