cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advantage of having MDS9513 compared to MDS9148

vegisandeep
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please help me understand advantages/disadvantages of MDS9513 compared to MDS9148

We are actually looking for a small datacenter deployment purpose and MDS9148 suits the requirement.

However I would like to understand if we can liverage any advantages in having a MDS9513 without all modules being populated.

9 Replies 9

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

advanced services like IVR, encryption, FCIP are not available on 9148 ..not enough buffer credits to use in DWDM connectivity scenario.

@dynamoxxx

dynamox, thanks for your reply.

As per the data sheet i see, IVR and encryption are supported by 9148.

I am not sure on FCIP and buffer credits parts and got to check and come back.

this is interesting, take a look at these release notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_2/release/notes/nx-os/mds_nxos_rel_notes_521.html#wp705651

Features Not Supported on the Cisco MDS 9148 Switch

The Cisco MDS 9148 Multilayer Fabric Switch does not support the following NX-OS features:

IVR

Remote Span

Translative loop support

FCC - no generation, quench reaction only

FC-Redirect

In addition, the following features have these limits:

VSANs - 31 maximum

SPAN - 1 session maximum

@dynamoxxx

Obviously one big disadvantage of the 9513 over 9148 is the big cost difference.

Do you have cash to burn?

hi steven...ofcourse i understand cost factor.

Is it value for money is what i am trying to evaluate and expecting some expert  comments

Kris Vandecruys
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sandeep,

To make a good choice between the 9148 and the 9513 it really depends on these things: 

* How many of

* What are you going to connect to it and

* how will this evolve over time?

This is akin to making the choice between a sports car and a small bus.  While you may find both of those with similar prices, they serve completely different purposes.

Could you enlighten us about things such as:

- Which kind of storage are you attaching?

- Which kind of servers? Blade servers? Mainframe?

- How many ports do you think you will need now, in 1 year, in 3, in 5...

- What speed will the links be needing?

- Do you require high(er) availability

HTH,

Kris

Also to consider is the size (RU) difference...

9513 = need 15 RU with a rack-mount kit (almost half of your standard 42 RU rack)

9148 = just 1 RU.

Also, consider total power comsumption difference. In 95xx you can power off modules (line cards) when not used.

Thanks,

Nisar Sayed

vegisandeep
Level 1
Level 1

Dynamox/Kris/Sayed - Thanks for your inputs

Kris -  As mentioned in my question, it’s a small data center deployment and 9148 suits my requirement.

my typical setup would include, 30-40 UCS Blades with approx 10% of maximum growth rate per year and will be SAN attached to VNX/Clariion.

Dynamox - since there are some contradictions, I will follow up with my global account manager/network arch from cisco for more details.

will keep you guys informed if i get any useful info.

were you able to clarify the "features" part?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: