Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up Oracle DB for FMS

richclaxton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed Fabric Manager Server v3.2(2c) using the Oracle DB option. Backup of this DB can be done in either Online (ARCHIVELOG mode) or offline (NOARCHIVELOG mode).

In one of the ccokbooks i found the Oracle DB holds inventory, fabric configuration and states of the ports.

How critical is a backup of this DB if i'm not using Performance Manager? (I believe PM stats are also held in this DB). If this DB becomes corrupted what are the consequences?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume you are not using the SME Storage Media Encryption feature? If not, and you are not collecting performance data, there would be no consequence if the DB got corrupted. You might have to re-install Fabric Manager. It would not affect anything in the running fabric, as all zoning, and configuration data is maintained in the MDS switches.

If you are using SME for encrypting tapes, then that's a whole other story. If the DB is being used to store tape encryption keys, and it gets corrupted, then you loose the ability to decrypt the tapes.

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume you are not using the SME Storage Media Encryption feature? If not, and you are not collecting performance data, there would be no consequence if the DB got corrupted. You might have to re-install Fabric Manager. It would not affect anything in the running fabric, as all zoning, and configuration data is maintained in the MDS switches.

If you are using SME for encrypting tapes, then that's a whole other story. If the DB is being used to store tape encryption keys, and it gets corrupted, then you loose the ability to decrypt the tapes.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hi Mike, here are the steps which I have utilized for restoring performance data to a new FMS/DB install:

Migrating Performance Data from prior Installation

Stop Fabric Manager Server

Copy the existing RRD files (from a prior install to cisco\mds9000\pm\db

run the cisco\mds9000\bin\pm.bat

Restart Fabric Manager Server

Add Fabric to be managed back into Fabric Manager through web interface

Edit new Fabric and set to Manage Continuously through web interface

Add the fabric to the Performance Manager collections through web interface

Historical data should now be available