cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best option for backing up to tape

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, at present we ,have a backup server running netvault, this connects to a san switch, which then connects through a tapedrive, the connection to the backup server is via the ethernet and I think this is how the traffic flows to backup other boxes to tape, is there any other solution to this, what is the best practice ?

2 Replies 2

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco has a solution known as NASB (Network Assisted Serverless Backup). I believe it is designed for a large back up operation, and requires the SSM (Storage Services Module).

Here is a link to a brief on the technology.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns394/ns259/ns515/net_brochure0900aecd80332bfa.pdf

There might be other options, but this is only one I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps.

- Mike

steven.langdale
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Are these hosts you want to back up over the SAN particularly big?

Are you talking about sending data directly from the host to the tape drive?

I don't use netvault, but I do use TSM, this allows you to backup straight from the host to tape and is called LanFree (for obvious reasons :) ).

Maybe you can explain a little more exactly what you are trying to achieve?

Steven

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: