Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Call Home w/o SMTP Server

The Cisco 9216i switch's mgmt interface is on a private LAN that does not have an SMTP server. Is it possible to route outbound email through a gigE interface which is also an FCIP ISL?

Has anyone had success at implementing Call home without a SMTP server? For instance, it would seem feasible to forward either SysLog or SNMP Traps to a receiver then have email initiated from the receiver.

This seems like a weird limitation given all of the other capabilities of the switch.

Thanks, Craig

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Call Home w/o SMTP Server

Hi Craig,

Callhome through the gigE won't work. Reasoning is as follows. When you do a Callhome alert, the Callhome process will attempt to setup an SMTP connection. If you define a static route out the gigE interface then it will at least initiate the first TCP SYN out the gigE interface. The SYN packet is destined for the SMTP server (tcp port 25) and will be sourced with the gigE interface ip address. But when the SMTP server replies the TCP stack behind the gigE interface will issue a RST (reset). This is because the gigE TCP stack will not accept TCP connections other than FCIP or iSCSI. This is by design. For the same reason you cannot bring up the MDS http welcome screen through the gigE ip address.

You can however use IPFC to route the Callhome SMTP traffic over the FCIP ISL to a remote switch that is acting as a default IP gateway, but of course the remote switch must have ip connectivity via it's mgmt interface to the SMTP server.

Lastly, Callhome always requires an SMTP server. Forwarding traps to an external management server that then uses email or pager is an alternative to Callhome...you won't need to enable Callhome feature to do that.

Re: Call Home w/o SMTP Server

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the response.

With a support contract in place, I'm looking for a way to get fatal hardware alerts communicated to either Cisco or the support vendor.

The 9216is are currently forwarding SNMP traps events to an external management server that has front door access. So, it would be easy enough to compose an email and send it to Smart Net. I'm just not sure how to properly compose the email so it works with Smart Net.

Anyway, sounds like I need to contact support and get the gory details from them.

Thanks Again, Craig

Views
Helpful
Replies