Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Can I configure a dual fabric SAN spanning 2 sites with only 1 switch/site?

On a reference system we are implementing a storage area network that spans 2 sites. Currently we have 1 x Cisco MDS9216i Fabric Switch at either site with a single fabric configured, a single VSAN at either site, and a transit VSAN for inter-site communication.

We've been informed that on the live system they will be employing a dual fabric SAN configuration, and they will have 2 x Cisco MDS9216i Fabric Switches at either site.

In order to ensure our reference system is as representative as possible I would like to know if it is possible to implement a dual fabric configuration with only 1 switch at each site. Or would this require at least 2 fabric switches at each site?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rob.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Re: Can I configure a dual fabric SAN spanning 2 sites with only

It will look like two separate Fabric's but housed on the one switch. Good for testing and proof of concept.

I would create 2 transit VSAN's.

You might have a problem where the Tape Library is a member of one VSAN on one port and the other devices (on the other Fabric) can't see it! You might have to split the Media servers or Tape Drives across the VSAN's.

3 REPLIES
Community Member

We had one switch that used one Vsan for one Fabric and another Vsan for the other Fabric. With a 9216 you won't have many ports to play with, as each host will use two ports on the one switch.

Community Member

By using 2 separate VSANS at each site would this essentially mean I am using (or at least representing) a dual fabric configuration?

I'm guessing I'll need to create 2 transit VSANs as well.

Ports aren't an issue on the reference system as we only have a couple of hosts, a tape library and a single storage array at each site.

Community Member

It will look like two separate Fabric's but housed on the one switch. Good for testing and proof of concept.

I would create 2 transit VSAN's.

You might have a problem where the Tape Library is a member of one VSAN on one port and the other devices (on the other Fabric) can't see it! You might have to split the Media servers or Tape Drives across the VSAN's.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content