Views
Helpful
Replies

CNA and FC Connectivity

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

is this configuration even possible (see picture).  I have FC connectivity between MDS 9513 and Nexus 5596UP, they are connected with regular 8G FC connection (TE). If i have a host that has CNA adapter, can i configure a "storage" VLAN on the Nexus, map this FCOE enabled VLAN to the VSAN and provide FC storage to the CNA adapter (create vfc and bind it to Ethernet port fist).

2-21-2012 1-13-36 PM.png

Thank you

@dynamoxxx
10 Replies 10

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, this is a supported configuration. If the 9513 is staying around as the core the 5596 could be configured in NPV mode to simplify FC operations and FC domain. If the 5596 is changed to NPV it is disruptive, config is reset and the switch reboots.

Hi Jeremy,

so no issues with 5596 running a FCOE enabled VLAN that is just local to that particular switch ? I am familiar with NPV as we set it on all of our 9124e HP blade enclosure switches.  Our 9513s are supported by EMC and they don't support F-port trunking. I am afraid that if i enable NPV on 5596 and then later on need to add another ISL, i won't be able to port-channel them. What are you thoughts ?

Thank you

@dynamoxxx

No issues, it is recommend that the FCoE VLAN be dedicated and only exist on that switch. The VLAN must be trunked to the Ethernet interface the CNAs connected to and then create a vfc that is then bound to the Ethernet interface.

In NPV mode the port-channel would be an F port.

Jeremy Waldrop wrote:

No issues, it is recommend that the FCoE VLAN be dedicated and only exist on that switch.

interesting, multihop FCOE is supported so where is this recommendation coming from ?

@dynamoxxx

For multihop FCoE the MDS would have to have an FCoE card or you would have to be connecting to a nexus 7k. For multihop then the VLAN would need to be trunked to the MDS/7k.

multihop is not supported between 5k ?

@dynamoxxx

obviously it's supported so i am still puzzled where you got that recommendation ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_fcoe_ops.html#wp1096447

@dynamoxxx

Yes, it is supported but the diagram you provided at the top has a single 5k connecting to an MDS. From a host CNA to a 5k and then to MDS isn't multihop FCoE. Do you have another Nexus 5k/7k in the mix?

Jeremy Waldrop wrote:

Do you have another Nexus 5k/7k in the mix?

not at the moment but i could connect another 5k to the one that's already in my diagram and extend that FCOE VLAN to that switch as well.  Would that even work if my original 5K is running in NPV mode (Nested NPIV)

Thanks

@dynamoxxx

Looks like your initial question is answered 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: