cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure UCS networking for appliance ports

aetwaroo1
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to the UCS platform so please bear with me....

I have configured UCS appliance ports to attach directly to Netapp storage over 10 GbE. My blades are configured as ESXi hosts. The hosts can see all the networks I provisioned in the UCS via the VLANs. When I try to configure NFS storage, I am unable to connect to the volume. I have the vif groups on the Netapp side to use a private IP 192.168.100.1. Do I need to configure a VLAN for this network as well. I assumed it would just connect. If so, where would I configure the that VLAN's ID?

Can someone assist with a detailed configuration on how I can accomplish this?

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-5100-series-blade-server-chassis/116075-ucs-app-connectivity-tshoot-00.html

UCS Appliance Port Connectivity and Troubleshooting

When a VLAN is created for an appliance port in the Appliances section of LAN tab, make sure to create the same VLAN in the LAN Cloud tab.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-6100-series-fabric-interconnects/whitepaper_c11-702584.html

Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) Storage Connectivity Options and Best Practices with NetApp Storage

has a section NFS setup with appliance ports

Thanks for your response!

That is sort of my question. For a private IP, what VLAN and VLAN ID do I use? Do I make one up?

Also the article about NFS over 10Gbe talks about scenarios for fail-over but it doesn't mention the configuration/setup details for NFS and direct attached storage. Also, reading that article, does this mean that I need to put L2 switches between the FI and Netapp NAS? The entire appliance port capability is somewhat misleading, as I thought I would be able to go from NAS to FI directly which in turn communicates with UCS blades.

Also I have the 6248UP FI. Are these the same as the 6100s?

Appliance ports are only used to connect fabric interconnects to directly attached NFS storage. No switch between FI and storage !

When you create a new appliance VLAN, its IEEE VLAN ID is not added to the LAN Cloud. Therefore, appliance ports that are configured with the new VLAN remains down, by default, due to a pinning failure.To bring up these appliance ports, you have to configure a VLAN in LAN Cloud with the same IEEE VLAN ID.

I assume you only have one Vlan on your storage system ? take anyone, but make sure it's unique, see above !

I would also tag it as the native vlan.

6248 is just the second generation of fabric interconnect; 6100 is first generation.