cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSNSS Exam!

roger.gibson
Level 1
Level 1

I just got taking the test and some of the questions were very ambiguous. Not only that, but the exam did not allow me enough time to finish; I didn't answer the last 10 questions of 70. If I had, I would've passed.

At any rate, here's a couple of questions that I could use some help resolving:

1) What is better suited to SAN rather than NAS?

a) database

b) email

c) office product suite

d) (can't remember the last choice)

2) In a multiswitch fabric, what interopability mode should the MDS 9000 be in? (NOTE: the question does not specify if the other switches are purely standards-based, such as Qlogic!)

- There was also an incomplete dialog of the "show environment power" command, asking if the PS's could run in combined or redundant mode: the answers looked something like this:

a) combined

b) redundant, PS 1

c) redundant, PS 2

d) redundant, PS 1 and PS2

It only showed the power requested for the modules, but didn't show the reserve for the fans. Fans reserve different amounts based on the chassis. If it was a 9509, they reserve like 210 watts! And what does it mean in the answer choices with the PS listed?

What are three NAS file sharing protocols?

a) CIFS (obvious)

b) NFS (another obvious)

c) HTTP

d) (can't remember, was either DECnet or SBSCC [?] or some such oddity)

Is HTTP a file sharing protocol within NAS? Does HTTP support oplocks and other file level integrity measures?

4) Can iSCSI initiators be mapped via an IP subnet (as well as by their iSCSI name and IP address)? Or are they mapped via their iSCSI WWN that is given to them by the IPS module? I know zoning can be configured this way...

1 Reply 1

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

The SN 5420 is based on iSCSI, a draft standard proposed to the IETF1 expected to be ratified in late-2001. Before evaluating SN 5420 competitors, it is important to review various technologies that support IP-based storage to determine who is a competitor and who is offering an alternative technology to iSCSI.

iSCSI?IBM and Cisco submitted the initial iSCSI draft standard that encapsulates SCSI commands over Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). For server communication to disk and tape over an IP network for distance, security or manageability reasons, iSCSI is ideal. Fibre Channel (FC) over IP (FCIP) will also work, but requires two gateways rather than one and exhibits point-to-point limitations, whereas iSCSI is point to multipoint.

FCIP?Gadzoox and Lucent have proposed Fibre Channel over IP, which routes storage to storage traffic across a metropolitan area network (MAN). Since most storage-to-storage communication today is proprietary to a storage vendor (e.g. EMC's Symmetrix Remote Data Facility [SRDF], Hitachi Data Systems' Extended Remote Copy [HXRC] and Compaq's Data Replication Manager [DRM]), the full Fibre Channel frame is typically used. This requires the entire fibre channel frame from the two end points. iSCSI won't do this since it transports the SCSI data portion of the frame, not the entire fibre channel frame. Therefore, for storage-to-storage traffic today, FCIP (fibre channel tunneling) is preferred.

SoIP?Nishan Systems has submitted a suite of protocols under the trademark SoIP for "Storage over IP." SoIP transfers blocks of data instead of files over local Gigabit Ethernet or wide-area SONET networks. In a SoIP network, FC to FC storage devices (tape libraries and disk arrays) can connect and interoperate with devices on a Gigabit Ethernet network via a SoIP adapter or a switch that joins to a Gigabit Ethernet switch or router.

This URL should help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps5199/prod_bulletin09186a00801821a0.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: