cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does adding member to existing multi-member fcalias require change in zone config?

jzhao19
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say we have a fcalias which contains a group of tape drives. This drive group alias is already a member of an active zone

zone name tapeserver_tapedrive vsan 10
   member fcalias tape_drive_group
 exit

Now I am adding a new drive into the group. Do I also need an update of the zones in which the fcalias is a member of?

!! add a new drive into the group

device-alias database
device-alias name IBMXXXXXX pwwn xx:xx:xx:xx3:xx:xx:xx:xx
device-alias commit

fcalis name tape_drive_group vsan 10

member device-alias IBMXXXXXX

exit

6 Replies 6

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sorry, you are talking about 2 types of alias, which are different: fc-alias and device-alias; fc-alias is per vsan, device-alias is per fabric ?

Device alias supports two modes: basic and enhanced mode.

With enhanced mode device-alias, you can change the pwwn, and it will automatically update everywhere, without doing an explicit zoneset activation

well I am talking about fcalias and my question is about fcalias. It happens that my sample config does use device-alias inside fcalias. To make it simple, let's use fcalias only. Should I update zone config as well?

!! add a new drive into the group

fcalis name tape_drive_group vsan 10

member pwwn xx:xx:xx:xx3:xx:xx:xx:xx

exit

Do I understand you correctly, you add an additional new target pwwn ?

therefore this new target has to be included in the zone as well; the point is simply, if you do single initiator-single target, or single initiator-multiple targets; in the former, you create a new zone, in the latter, you add it in a existing zone;

The new zone has to be included in the zoneset as well.

I am adding a new target into a single initiator-multiple targets zone. Since all the targets are grouped under one fcalias 'tape-drives-group', I am assuming that just updating the fcalias 'tape-drive-group' will be good enough for this change. I know the similar operation works for device-alias in enhanced mode, but not sure about fcalias.....It will be really handy if it works. 

This is what the zone looks like.

zone name tapeserver_tapedrives vsan 10
   member fcalias tape_drive_group
 exit

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Another question: are you using enhanced VSAN zoning ?

switch(config)# zone mode enhanced vsan 3000

===> Implements changes to the zoning database and distributes it without reactivation.

jihicks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

After adding an additional PWWN to the FCALIAS, you do not need to:

Change the zone

Change the zoneset

However, you will need to activate the zoneset again to pick up the change.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: