cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does ucs 6296 have autosensing feature for FC ports?

akhmetka1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, everyone

I was wondering, does UCS 6200 series fabric interconnect have autosensing /auto negotiation feature for Fiber Channel ports? I have ucs 6296 with 8Gb FC sfp ports and storage that has 4Gb FC ports. I'am consering that my storage won't connect to fabric interconnect.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, 8G SFP should work with 4G peer.

If you want directly connect your storage to UCS 6200, you have to configure FC switch mode on the fabric interconnect (default is FC end host mode = NPV)

Cisco UCS Manager-based Fibre Channel zoning—This configuration combines direct attach storage with local zoning. Fibre Channel or FCoE storage is directly connected to the fabric interconnects and zoning is performed in Cisco UCS Manager, using Cisco UCS local zoning. Any existing Fibre Channel or FCoE uplink connections need to be disabled. Cisco UCS does not currently support active Fibre Channel or FCoE uplink connections coexisting with the utilization of the UCS Local Zoning feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, 8G SFP should work with 4G peer.

If you want directly connect your storage to UCS 6200, you have to configure FC switch mode on the fabric interconnect (default is FC end host mode = NPV)

Cisco UCS Manager-based Fibre Channel zoning—This configuration combines direct attach storage with local zoning. Fibre Channel or FCoE storage is directly connected to the fabric interconnects and zoning is performed in Cisco UCS Manager, using Cisco UCS local zoning. Any existing Fibre Channel or FCoE uplink connections need to be disabled. Cisco UCS does not currently support active Fibre Channel or FCoE uplink connections coexisting with the utilization of the UCS Local Zoning feature.

Thanks, wdey.

I'am ok with ucs manager-based FC zoning. The only concern is abilitiy to autonegotiate the link speed with stroage. As a storage requirement states that the link speed must match between switch and storage controllers.

No problem !

Cisco 8-Gbps Fibre Channel SFP+

The Cisco 8-Gbps Fibre Channel SFP+ (Figure 3) provides Fibre Channel connectivity for the 2/4/8‑Gbps ports on the Cisco MDS 9000 Family platform. Three types are available: the Cisco Fibre Channel Shortwave SFP+ (part number DS-SFP-FC8G-SW) the Cisco Fibre Channel Longwave SFP+ (part number DS-SFP-FC8G-LW), and the Cisco Fibre Channel Extended Reach SFP+ (part number DS-SFP-FC8G-ER). Each offers 2/4/8-Gbps autosensing Fibre Channel connectivity.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/storage-networking/mds-9000-series-multilayer-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801bc698.html

I'am a bit affaid that FC SFP's (i have DS-SFP-FC8G-SW ) might not autosens when used in UCS 6296. Soon, will be able to test it.

Anyway, thanks a lot!

No worry; I have done it before ! it works !