Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DWDM for provide native fibre to another site.

I hear that Cisco are going to offer the 4 and 10 Gbps DWDM SPFs that plug directly into the MDS so I got a bit excited at work discussing this with the network people. They are mucking about with optical test gear right now.

They raised a very interesting point that I am sure other people have had to deal with. They were concerned that it would be difficult to do very high level encryption with DWDM. They said that it can be achieved with FCIP so why go down the optical path.

So, has anyone done high level encryption for DWDM over SDH? Is there any problems with encryption of the data?

This raises another point about the DWDM. If I have a number of 4 Gbps ports available, could I put them together to make a larger "pipe". If we were happy with 8 or 12 Gbps native fibre extension, could we make something like a port channel of 2 or 3 x 4 Gbps SFPs? As we have two core switches to provide alternate paths to everything, I would expect that I could continue using the multipathing to the remote site.

I currently don't see the sense in spending heaps to get the (two) 10 Gbps line cards and only use one port.

Regards

Stephen

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: DWDM for provide native fibre to another site.

I think that a company called Decru makes a product that might be able to do the encryption over DWDM like you're asking for. I can't say for sure but might want to take a look. The 4G and 10G ports can be port channeled.

Re: DWDM for provide native fibre to another site.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. It was most valuable. I discovered another company that provides a product called NeoScale CryptoStor SAN VPN which obviously means that this can be done. Their encryption is not on the same level as what we would need but it has to be a start. The system has limited abilities for throughput considering the speeds that can be achieved.

Regards

Stephen

Views
Helpful
Replies