Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

emulex vfaII FCoE to nexus 5596 UP

Hi,

There is a need to reconfigure existing IBM server, and attach it to nexus 5596UP switches with FCoE.

For that, we have purchased emulex vfaII adapter with fcoe license, and  2 twinax 5 m cables.

I am about to consider configuration details.

First, i guess i am supposed to configure ports on nexus that server is going to be connected as FCoE port (nexus switches are configured with storage licences)

Then, i am considering operation mode of emulex adapter (it has 2 modes that are valid for environment : pNIC (2x10 GbE ports and 2xFC 8 Gb ports, standard CNA adapter) or vNIC ( 2x3 ethernet + 2xFC port). From documentation, i find that both modes are supported, but i will try first simple standard CNA mode.

And after that there is one thing that i am considered of :

when i attach server to Nexus with twinax, and configure port as FCoE, first thing will be to create vfc (virtual fiber channel interfaces), bind them to physical port and create zones etc etc.

But, will this port (FCoE) also be aware of my ethernet portion of FCoE? I have lots of experience with UCS, and i always rely on FI to separate lan and san traffc from servers/expanders. Since here i have only IBM server with vfa II conected to nexus, will it be transparent to rest of environmet?

Can i configure unified port as fcoe in manner that port will pass fc and ethernet traffic?

And if i can, can i get some help how to. I failed to find any online configuration examples.

Thank you.

• Storage Networking
1 REPLY

emulex vfaII FCoE to nexus 5596 UP

Just to clarify, i think that this port is going to pass ethernet traffic (this is supposed to be trunk port) and that no specific confiuration is required . But i am not sure

Views
Helpful
Replies