cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fc domains

jlefko
Level 1
Level 1

So what is the opion about FC domains? I was working with an EMC tech who said it wasn't best practice to utilize FC domains for things like zoning.

As I am new to SAN Switches, I wasn't sure but figured I would ask some people's opinions before making changes.

4 Replies 4

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is probably best to zone based upon the pwwn of the devices that are attaching into the fabric. You can zone upon the FCID that is given to those devices but you better make sure that persistent FCID is enabled and the fcdomain is configured as static and is the same number as what is in the zoning info.

I don't me the zoning based on FCIDs but the FCDomain itself, things like zoning and zoneset being sent via FCDOMAINS.

I'm not sure I'm following you here. The fcdomain is a number that is 1 byte long (1-239) and is the address of a vsan per switch. So, before vsans, it would have been the address of that switch. Zoning and zonesets are a different concept. You can think of zoning as access lists that permit devices access to each other. To zone, you use some designator to define those devices like pwwn, fcid, interface, etc. Between two switches with the same vsan, there must be a homogeneous zoneset whether that is acheived by merging or activating a zoneset in one switch to force it propogate to the other switch(s). Is it possible that you are referencing the CFS (Cisco Fabric Services) feature?

Funny, I totally brained that one.

Our EMC tech referred to it as FCDOMAIN but I believe he meant CFS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: