Views
Helpful
Replies

FCid Persistent

paulomauricios
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I work with a MDS9513 version 5.0(1a), and Fabric Manager version 4.1(1b), HDS USPV and hosts Dell R900 with Red Hat Enterprise 5.

A few days ago, a HBA connected in a port was replaced by another HBA(Other host) and the first HBA continued in map's Traffic Manager in the same port with the new one.

In switch, by CLI, I discovered the old HBA's wwn and fcid continues in the vsan, I deleted wwn the vsan, but in the map I have to go in the option vsan's domain and deleted too. Hard work. Then, I resolved no use fcid persistent: no fcdomain fcid persistent vsan X.

My question, Is it correct? Is it a good practice? Can I use the same for vsan 1?

Thks,

Paulo Maurício

4 Replies 4

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

we use FCID persistence to make sure upon switch reboot hosts do not get assigned new fcid, that' is very important for HPUX and AIX as the hardware path in the OS contains fcid address.

@dynamoxxx

Thanks Dynamoxxx for your response.

I don't have hosts with HP-UX and AIX.

fcid persistance is enabled by default and generally a good idea.  You can purge old entries with "purge fcdomain fcid vsan x".  You can disable persistence, but I can't really think of many useful situations you would need to do this.  I don't like anything dynamic in my SAN configurations if I can easily avoid it, so I don't use auto port channels, dynamic domains/fcid's, etc.

Brian

Ok Brian, but I still don't understanding why to enable fcid pesistent. I only have hosts (Solaris, WIndows and Red Hat) and storage Hitachi connected. Do you think in the future I am going have problems? Is so important hosts and ports in storage have always the same fcid? In Fabric Manager, I had a problem when I changed the host connected in a interface, the both wwn, older and new, appeared on the map.

Thks for your intersting and help.

Paulo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: