cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FCIP VSAN/Zoning question

briankegel
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a single 9222i switch (switch1).  This switch has a single VSAN (600), a single zone (Default_Zone (ports fc1, fc2, fc3 & fc4)).  I want to add a second 9222i (switch2)and implement FCIP as a ISL.  I've read to documentatio but I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I will create a new VSAN 700 on both switch1 & switch2 and but Switch1-GE1 & Switch1-GE2 in this VSAN

I will create VSAN 600 on Switch2 (ports FC1, FC2, FC3 & FC4)

i will move the targets in switch1 FC3 &FC4 to switch2 FC1 & FC2

I will setup a FCIP link between Switch1-GE1 and Switch2-GE1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_1_x/1_3/cookbook/CB_fcip.html

Since the zoneset is done via WWID I shouldn't have to change the configuration.

Will switch1 FC1 & FC2 be able to communicate with switch2 FC1 & FC2?

Since the ports are in the same VSAN I do not need to do any further configuration?

Even though the FCIP link is on a seperate VSAN (700) and matching VSANs on either switch should be able to communicate?

The FCIP ports should be in a seperate VSAN?

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

zmeng
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brian,

Yes, Switch1 FC1&2 can talk with Switch2 Fc1&2, you can realize that by two option:

1. configure FCIP link as trunk mode and add vsan 600 into allowed-vsan list

then make certain zone is merged  correctly.

2.  You can leverage IVR method. configure vsan700 as transit vsan, use AFID to distinguish two seperlate vsan600.

This option obviously is more complexity than option 1.

BR,

John Meng

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: