cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fibre Patch Lead Choice with FCIP

p-matthewson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a solution to implement and connect 2 MDS 9509s. Distances involved in fibre runs are sub 150m. Is there any benefit in me using 50/125 instead of 62.5/125 within these distances. The existing infrastructure would dictate that we run with 62.5/125. We may want to run with up to 10Gb over the Fibre, but as this will be aggregated through port channels I don't see the fibre choice as being an issue so long as we don't interface 62.5 with 50 directly... Can anyone confirm that this is ok?

Thanks

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Theoretically the 50um fiber is the better and is primarily used for longer lengths of 500+meters. You can use either type for your application. It will work fine. The only benfit the 50um offers is a smaller diameter that allows for less dispersion loss and goes a longer distance. Yes, I would stay with one type of fibr. Do not mix and match...Please rate..Good Luck...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Theoretically the 50um fiber is the better and is primarily used for longer lengths of 500+meters. You can use either type for your application. It will work fine. The only benfit the 50um offers is a smaller diameter that allows for less dispersion loss and goes a longer distance. Yes, I would stay with one type of fibr. Do not mix and match...Please rate..Good Luck...

Thanks for your response - I will go with 50um in the solution. Cheers, Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: