cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FM 3.2(2c) - can't discover 2nd fabric

sysfhw
Level 1
Level 1

I use Fabric Manager SA 3.2(2c) on Windows XP to administer my local 9509. I'm trying to discover a 9513 fabric at our DR site - here's what happens:

1) login to FM

2) Goto Control Panel Fabrics tab, click Discover

3) Enter IP of 9513 for Seed Switch

4) Enter my account User Name and Password

5) Click Discover

Several seconds later:

ERROR Discover New Fabric

Snmp: timeout

I can SSH into the 9513 with my account and also contact it with my web browser.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a firewall/ACL in between sites that has blocked SNMP traffic? Its not uncommon sometimes and lots of organisations allow ssh and http but have real concerns with SNMP and will often block the ports. Universities in particular have to be extra vigilent just because of their students...

An easy way to test it is to put FM on a system at the remote site and try to discover the switch there. Is there another SNMP enabled device in the DR site you (or the network people) can try an snmpget/snmpwalk on?

Stephen

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a firewall/ACL in between sites that has blocked SNMP traffic? Its not uncommon sometimes and lots of organisations allow ssh and http but have real concerns with SNMP and will often block the ports. Universities in particular have to be extra vigilent just because of their students...

An easy way to test it is to put FM on a system at the remote site and try to discover the switch there. Is there another SNMP enabled device in the DR site you (or the network people) can try an snmpget/snmpwalk on?

Stephen

Thank you very much for your reply. I know that the admins at the remote site can use FM with that switch, so I'll check about the ACLs and see if that's my problem.

Frank

There was a rule to allow SNMP access for me in the remote site's border router, BUT it allowed access to the old SAN switch's IP. My colleagues changed the rule to include the IPs of the two new switches and now the discovery is working for me. Thanks for your help!

Frank