Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

gbic question

Regarding SFP GBIC's, will 1/2GB SFP GBIC's generally work in 1GB or 2GB capable equipment? I mean obviously it should work in equipment that is 1GB/2GB capable, but what about equipment that is only 1GB?

I am looking at Finisar FTRJ8519P1BNL SFP GBIC's to use in my 9216A's in the lab, as well as my Fortra and Xyratex storage arrays.

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: gbic question

can you even get 1gb FC SFP's?

Obviously s/he can get or have them and me also as eBay-like-afterMarkets has lots of them :)

Serious, why no trying it. Equipment will not go broke. To my latest memory of access experiment, 1/2Gbics will work in 1Gbic only.

Goodluck and let us know.

Cisco Employee

I believe that in the later SAN-OS versions, there is a checking that occurs and if the SFP is not one of the supported (generally this means sold by Cisco), the port will be disabled with a message 'Unsupported SFP'.

I would verify that the ones you are looking to put into the MDS, do indeed work before purchasing a large amount of them.

- Mike

Thanks is there an official list of supported GBICs somewhere?

Just so others know, I did use some cheap third party gbics (some agilent and finisar) and they did show "not supported" under "sh int fcx/y trans". However, they appear to work fine (although not supported). This is in my lab, so price was much more critical than being supported. I am not sure about performance, but from a features perspective everything seems to work as expected.

Brian

Views
Helpful
Replies