cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HBA Issue with Fabric Login

gaasedelen
Level 1
Level 1

We have a qlogic HBA (qla2xxx) running on Red Hat that seems to be failing on OS startup.   Exactly how its failing I am not sure.  The card was connected to a Cisco UCS  environment but was removed and is now connected to a cisco 9138 but fails at  fabric login.  The FCID showing up for this HBA is 0x652100 and seems to have  been configured in with the card.  I have set up a persistent fcid on the switch  but the HBA doesn't seem to be getting this far. Can anyone tell me how I can troubleshoot this further?  This is a production system so I am limited with my actions.  We have an a and b fabric, the failed HBA is on a fabric.  The other HBA is working fine.

4 Replies 4

abaskara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Is the device logging into fabric A ? You can use the following commands to verify -

show flogi database

show fcns database

show npv flogi (if this is an NPV enabled 9100)

Is the zoning set up correctly for this device (show zoneset active) ? Is it done on this 9100 or a different MDS (NPV Core) ?

Thanks,

Arun

No, the HBA is not logging into the fabric on A.  I do not see an FCID for the port nor do I see it on the nameserver.

Here is a cat of all files in the /sys/class/fc_host/host0 directory which is the directory of the non-working adapter

cd /sys/class/fc_host/host0

[root@cporacle2 host0]# cat *

cat: device: Is a directory

0x1000080088020b32

cat: issue_lip: Permission denied

0x5001438000c55cbf

0x652100

0x5001438000c55cbe

NPort (fabric via point-to-point)

4 Gbit

cat: statistics: Is a directory

cat: subsystem: Is a directory

Class 3

HPAE311A FW:v4.04.05 DVR:v8.02.00.06.05.03-k

wwpn (World Wide Port Name)

cat: uevent: Permission denied

Hello

I think the hard coded FCID may be the issue.  Can you turn it off and let it get one normally?  Can you also provide an FCID of a working device in that switch?

Steven

Thanks Steven, that was my thinking, as well, but I don't know how I would "turn off" a hard coded FCID?  Working FCID's on this MDS 9134 are domain 65 00 00 through 65 19 00.  I've already assigned a persistent FCID to this card - the next one on the list, namely 65 1a 00.  However, the card is still not logging into the fabric.

However, since my original post yesterday, I've noted that this card as been receiving "MAC bit errors" for quite some time so I am suspecting bad hardware somewhere along the storage path.  I will try replacing the GBIC (SFP) and fixing other possible hardware issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: