Views
Helpful
Replies

How to install software on MDS 9509 Switch

darrenriley5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of our MDS 9509 switches has died. This used to be supported externally but has now been brought in house. A replacement box is due to arrive soon but I will nee to update the software to the same version that the old box was using and apply the config.

What procedure should I follow to do this? I've downloaded the following kickstart and image files ready to ftp across to the new box.

m9200-ek9-kickstart-mz.3.3.5a.bin m9200-ek9-kickstart-mz.3.3.5a.bin

is it simply a case of running the install all command?

Thanks

Darren

3 Replies 3

Nisar Sayed
Level 1
Level 1

Also you will need to install license same as on old and restore config. Hope you had config backup somewhere. Additionally you will have to update port security schemes (if configured). Once all done, look for any zone merging errors or conflicts.

Good luck,

Nisar

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

Sorry I entered the wrong switch on the post. I can still log on to the switch so I've copied the images and the running config from the switch. I did a show license on the current switch but there wasn't one. How can I get the license?

Thanks

Darren

Vu Phan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You said you have MDS 9509, but you downloaded a wrong version, that version is for MDS9200.

Also you will need to make sure your 9509 has Supervisor generation one or two to download the right one

The command is

sw# install all kickstart bootflash: system bootflash: