cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISL/EISL Management

viengle
Level 1
Level 1

I have one MDS 9513 and one MDS 9134 currently connected via a single 4Gb TE port on each switch. The 4Gb ISL was used by the engineer who implemented the fabric because the 10G ports on the 9134 were not licensed. The 9134 10G ports are now licensed and I have available 10G ports on the 9513.

Here’s what I want to do…

Either replace the 4G ISL connection with a 10G ISL connection

OR

Add the 10G ISL and retain the 4G ISL as failover if possible.

OR

Create a port-channel from the two 10G ports on the 9134 and replace the 4G ISL with the 10G port-channel.

Can this be done non-disruptively? Once the 10G ISL is connected can I simply shutdown the 4G ISL and have the switch failover to the 10G ISL?

Thanks,

Vic

1 Reply 1

stevedegroat
Level 1
Level 1

You can bring up the 10G ISL between the switches as a separate port channel as you can't combine the different port speeds.  You can then add another 10G ISL or you can bring up both 10G ISLs as a single port channel at the same time.  Once that port channel is tested, you can then shut down the 4G (or leave it as a last-resort-backup link).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: