Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9120 (DS-C9120-K9)

johnnybaer
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy,

Recently had a 9120 stop working on me.  The Status LED is orange, and stays orange.  I read from the Hardware Troubleshooting:

"The Status LED flashes orange once and stays  orange during diagnostic boot tests. It turns green when the switch is  operational (online). If the system software cannot start up, this LED  stays orange."

I do get this message from the console:

"INIT: cannot execute "/isan/bin/sysmgr_spawn"

INIT: cannot execute "/isan/bin/sysmgr_spawn"

INIT: Id "sm" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes"

I tried logging into the switch, but doesn't seem to want to take my pw for admin.  I also tried reseting the pw using the password recovery steps, but Ctrl+] doesn't seem to do diddly.

Wasn't sure if anyone would be able to assist, as it seems I do not have support because my SN isn't even in the system...

4 Replies 4

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

When you tried the Ctrl+] password reset were you able to run through the procedure or did you not get any response back from the switch?

Also, have you tried reloading the images?

Brian,

When I tried the Ctrl+] nothing happened, so I couldn't even try the procedure.  I tried on another computer using Putty as opposed to Hyperterminal, but didn't seem to make a difference.

Reload the image?  No I have not tried that. Would I need to login for that, or just change the boot options to TFTP?

Thanks.

Hi John,

Once the bios loads try pressing ctrl-c
You should get loader>

from there you can type:

boot bootflash:m9100-s1ek9-kickstart-mz.3.0.2a.bin (or whatever the kickstart image name is)
config terminal
admin-password newpass123
exit
load bootflash:m9100-s1ek9-mz.3.0.2a.bin (or whatever the system image name is)

To reload the images you don't need to login to the switch  (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/troubleshooting/guide/ts_sw.html#wp746790)

Brian,

ctrl-c only seems to do anything if I press it before the bios, to get into the bios settings screen.  Anything after does not seem to do anything.  I will keep trying to see if maybe I'm getting it at the incorrect time.

Thanks.