Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9124 backup and restore config

parians
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have 2 x MDS 9124 switches at the core of our SAN and as part of our DR testing I have to replace one of the switches with a new unit i.e. restore the swtich config from a backup to a new unit.

We use Kiwi CatTools to backup the config (basically copy run tftp).

Are the basic steps:

1. Upgrade/downgrade replacement switch to same OS as running on failed switch

2. Connect all cables as per failed unit

3. Add basic network commands to get on LAN

4. copy tftp start to get backup config onto new switch

5. Add any licence keys

6. Reload and check

Are there any unique values in the backup config that must be replaced (e.g. WWN's) before doing the restore?

Is there a Cisco DR document that covers this issue?

Many thanks

Peter.

6 Replies 6

inch
Level 3
Level 3

G'day Peter,

You are spot on.

Depending on the way you perform zoning you might not have to cable everything in the same way.

As far as unique values, depending on what hosts are attached (HP-UX and AIX) there could be a mapping of fcid's.

And I don't know of any DR documentation as such because replacing a switch is not really classed as a "disaster".

I guess one thing to watch out for is make sure your "backup" config's are not stored on any SAN attached disk that is accessed through these switches :)

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I'll give it a try. I read somewhere that the licence keys are not required for the first 120 days i.e. you can copy the config back and worry about the keys later as they are specific to your switch. This would be good as it saves worrying about this detail at a time of high stress. Is this correct?

Regards,

Peter.

G'day,

You are correct - There is grace periods. One thing to note, license keys are fixed to the individual switch, so you would have to lodge a case with the TAC to get a new key allocated to your new switch.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks again Andrew.

Regards,

Peter.

KevinBeaulieu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is covered in the Cisco Cookbook located at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/cookbook/MDScookbook31a.pdf

Thank you.

Thanks Kevin,

I found that article and did a test of the recovery the other day. Recovery is close to what the article says but because you are copying to running config you can end up with some duplicate comands like the bootfile command and the SNMP user commands need modification because they are linked to the CLI user commands (different to cisco IOS switch). I've modified my documentation to take these differences into account so recovery in the event of a real disaster should be relatively straight forward.

Thanks for your reply,

Peter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: