Views
Helpful
Replies

[MDS 9124] fcalias database erased after migration

Surya ARBY
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all.

Strange issue I faced during a migration last week : I had to introduce a new switch into a fabric, everything went fine.

At some point I had to clean all the "full zone sets" (in order to refresh the local database with the active zoneset), at the end of the migration, the customer told me that all the fcalias defined in the configs were dropped; is it a side effect of the "clear zone database vsan xxx" ?

If this is the case, It's not documented. Any idea ?

7 Replies 7

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

if i read this correctly, it erases everything in full zone database, including fcaliases ..and then you activated i am sure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_2_x/fabricware/configuration/guide/zone.html#wp1067562

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

thanks; Is there any way to clear only the "full" zoneset but not the other informations ?

not that i am aware of, i am trying to understand why did you have to clean the full zone set ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

for some unknown reasons, the full zone sets were not identical across the whole fabric (some switches having old zonesets in the configuration), I just wanted to check all switches, delete the full zone set locally and replace it with the active zoneset which is by definition always up to date (this is not my san, I only had to perform the migration)

i see, is full zoneset distribution enabled on all switches in the fabric ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

No it was not, this is one of my advice to this customer

sound advice, less headaches

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx