Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MDS 9148 firmware Upgrade

Does anyone have advice for upgrading the firmware on a Cisco MDS 9148 from 5.0(7) to 6.2(3)? I do not see anything newer than 6.2(3).

I have been advised to perform this upgrade before connecting to Cisco UCS 6296UP.

I have read the Cisco MDS 9000 Family Release Notes for Cisco MDS NX-OS Release 6.2(3). I understand from the document that I need to upgrade to 5.2(x) first, then 6.2(3).

Since this is my first time upgrading firmware on a Cisco switch I am lookinfg for a step-by-step guide if it exists.

Thanks

8 REPLIES
Silver

Robert,

it's pretty straight forward, always a good practice to backup configuration to an external tftp/ftp/scp server just in case. Other than that just follow the release notes, they should point out any in-between upgrades and if they are disruptive or note. Your 9148 does not have IVR correct ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

I have not configured IVR, I don't believe it is in use. There is one default VSAN.

So far I have this plan:

1. Establish console connection to MDS 9148.
2. Create a backup of the existing configuration file using Fabric Manager to existing ftp server.
3. Create a backup of all zones using Fabric Manager to existing ftp server.
4. Issue the "show install all impact upgrade-image" CLI command to determine if the upgrade will be nondisruptive.
5. Perform upgrade to MDS NX-OS Release 5.0(7).
6. Perform upgrade to MDS NX-OS Release 6.2(1).

Question:
Do I use Fabric Manager to perform the upgrade? Or do I need to copy the new firmware to the switch and issue a CLI command?

Thanks

Robert

Since the current version is 5.0(7), Step 5. should be:

Perform upgrade to MDS NX-OS Release 5.2(x).

Silver

i like to use the command line:

1) upload firmware to the switch, here i am pulling it down from an tftp server

copy tftp://192.168.23.78/m9200-xxxxx.bin bootflash:m9200-xxxx.bin"

copy tftp://192.168.23.78/m9200-xxxx-kickstart-xxx.bin bootflash:m9200-xxx-kickstart-xx.bin

2) Verify version

show version image bootflash:m9200-xxxx.bin and m9200-xxx-kickstart-xx.bin

3) Verify compatability

show incompatibility system bootflash:m9200-s2ek9-mz.xxx.bin

4) Let it rip

install all system bootflash:m9200-xxx.bin kickstart  bootflash:m9200-xxx-kickstart-xx.bin

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx,

Thanks for your quick response and attention to detail. I will upgrade one switch to firmware 5.0(7) tomorrow morning.

Silver

aren't you already on 5.0(7) ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

successful, non-disruptive upgrades so far. One more switch to do. Thanks for your help!

Robert

Cisco Employee

test

test

Views
Helpful
Replies