cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9216 Licenses

ataranen
Level 1
Level 1

What type of licensing is required for a basic setup? All we want is for a server to access storage through the switch.

I can see the HBA and the individual FC array disks in the switch console (see below), but the adapter doesn't pick see the disks. I was wondering if it's licensing issue. The "show license" command on the switch returns blank.

switch# show fcns database vsan 1

VSAN 1:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

FCID TYPE PWWN (VENDOR) FC4-TYPE:FEATURE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

0x0111ef NL 21:00:00:e0:8b:01:aa:f9 (Qlogic)

0x0115da NL 21:00:00:20:37:0c:65:27 (Seagate) scsi-fcp

0x0115dc NL 21:00:00:20:37:0b:d0:bf (Seagate) scsi-fcp

0x0115e0 NL 21:00:00:20:37:0c:65:02 (Seagate) scsi-fcp

0x0115e1 NL 21:00:00:20:37:0c:23:b8 (Seagate) scsi-fcp

0x0115e2 NL 21:00:00:20:37:0c:68:d6 (Seagate) scsi-fcp

0x0115e4 NL 21:00:00:20:37:13:ad:55 (Seagate) scsi-fcp

0x0115e8 NL 21:00:00:20:37:0b:89:36 (Seagate) scsi-fcp

0xaf0000 N 21:00:00:e0:8b:02:70:7e (Qlogic) scsi-fcp:init

Total number of entries = 9

switch#

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need no MDS additional licenses to achieve what you are looking to do. The FCNS looks good, we see 2 Qlogic HBAs, one in each switch in VSAN 1. We also see the Seagate devices.

Can you advise on how VSAN 1 is configured as far as 'default zone'? It will be 'deny' by defualt meaning that devices not in named zones will not be able to communicate with each other. If it is set to "permit" then devices in the default zone can communicate.

If it is set to "deny" then you need to create and activate a zone and zoneset for VSAN 1.

Can you post the results from these commands?

show zoneset act vsan 1

show zone policy vsan 1

Another items that might affect storage visibility:

Lun masking on the array where you need to configure which HBA PWWNs may access and see the storage.

Once we see the outputs, I think we can provide more in the way of help.

Please identify which devices (PWWN) you would like to have connectivity between.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need no MDS additional licenses to achieve what you are looking to do. The FCNS looks good, we see 2 Qlogic HBAs, one in each switch in VSAN 1. We also see the Seagate devices.

Can you advise on how VSAN 1 is configured as far as 'default zone'? It will be 'deny' by defualt meaning that devices not in named zones will not be able to communicate with each other. If it is set to "permit" then devices in the default zone can communicate.

If it is set to "deny" then you need to create and activate a zone and zoneset for VSAN 1.

Can you post the results from these commands?

show zoneset act vsan 1

show zone policy vsan 1

Another items that might affect storage visibility:

Lun masking on the array where you need to configure which HBA PWWNs may access and see the storage.

Once we see the outputs, I think we can provide more in the way of help.

Please identify which devices (PWWN) you would like to have connectivity between.

Thanks,

Mike

You were right, after changing the permissions on the zone (and going through the loops of other configurations) it was resolved. The problem was a bit more complex than I explained: the MDS9216 was connecting to the storage through Brocade 3800; so I had to do interobility mode 2 on the vsan and reduce BB credits on the ISL link. After that MDS picked up the Brocade active configuration (zoneset) at which point I added my MDS ports to the zone defined on the Brocade. Bingo! The HBA on MDS picked up the storage on Brocade.

Thank you very much for the pointers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: