Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9222i Etherchannel

shinoriku
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to make an etherchannel between two GE ports on 9222i, and got an error message below.

command failed: port not compatible [generic error]

So, can 9222i make an etherchannel?

Many Thanks!

2 Replies 2

inch
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Can you paste the config from each end?

Cheers

Ether channel is not supported on the 9222i GE ports. It is only supported on the IPS-4 (discontinued) or IPS-8 line cards.

Reason: Int eh 9222i, 9216i, 18-4 line card, and 14-2 line card, each GE port is serviced by a unique IP asic. For Ether channel to be an option, a single IP asic would have to service both GE ports. In the IPS-4 or IPS-8, you can only configure Ether channel between ports 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, or 7-8. GE port 1 with any other GE port other than 2 would fail to configure an ether channel.

That said, it is not recommended to bundle ethernet ports unless you are aggregating ports for a larger ISCSI portal. FCIP is not supported over etherchannel.

To achieve a redundant FCIP configuration, the ideal solution is to create 2 FCIP tunnels, one on each GE, then bundle the FCIP interfaces into a port-channel. This provides the aggregated bandwidth of 2 GE ports with a much nicer flow control and fail over should a GE link fail.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: