cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9509 Image Upgrade

boardernet
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 9509 with (2) supervisor cards. If I upgrade the code, is this a non-disruptive event ?

8 Replies 8

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes for the fibre channel blades. And the supervisors will be a rolling upgrade. IPS and SSM cards will be disruptive. Check the release notes for upgrade path.

So will I need a console connection to both supervisors or will one be enough ?

Just one since you can move it to the other supervisor once it comes up as active. The standby sup will be upgraded and then made primary so then the other sup can be upgraded. You can do this telnet/ssh/Fabric manager also. You do need two ethernet cables - one for each mgmt interface attached to the switch because the IP address will follow the primary sup.

I ran a 'show install all impact...' command and got the following output :

Compatibility check is done:

Module bootable Impact Install-type Reason

------ -------- -------------- ------------ ------

1 yes disruptive reset Incompatible image

2 yes disruptive reset Incompatible image

3 yes disruptive reset Incompatible image

5 yes disruptive reset Incompatible image

6 yes disruptive reset Incompatible image

What does the Incompatible image mean ?

by the MDS 95xx Director are 2 different CP's available. Have you the correct image for the Appropriate CP Type ?

Make sure you get the m9500 SAN-OS and also make sure that you got the correct supervisor version--we have a sup1 and a sup2 now. Sup2 is supported in 3.x and above. Sup1 can run anything.

I have (2) sup1 since I'm currently running 2.1.1b. Here are the files I am trying to upgrade with :

m9500-sf1ek9-kickstart-mz.3.1.2a.bin

m9500-sf1ek9-mz.3.1.2a.bin

You need to go to 2.1(2b) or later before jumpin g to 3.1(2a). Otherwise it will be disruptive on a 95xx. Its all in the release notes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: