cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS9000 (DS-C9124) and Apple XServe/RAID problem.

piero.giobbi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

Im new at this so be gentle plz. :)

We want to connect some servers and raid with fiber channel-network. So we bought this switch to do the job.

When we connect all together nothing works. Im getting this error: sfpVendorNotSupported

I cant figure out why it doesnt work. If i connect the server with raid it works flawlessly.

Any help apreciated.

thx

p

8 Replies 8

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen that error before and it is generally associated with non Cisco "certified" SFP's. You would get that message when you hovered over the port with the mouse. HP sold us some switches and tried putting in some Brocade SFP's because they had some in stock. Once they put the right ones it, is worked.

There are only a handful of vendor SFP's around for servers and storage and you should not try to use them in the Cisco switches.

Where did your SFP's come from? If they came with the switch, thats another story.

Stephen

Many thanks for the reply Stephen.

As you pointed out, the SFP's (that came with Apples fibrecannel-card) won't work with Cisco. I have to get "real" SFP's that work with Cisco AND APPLE's Fiber-card. How i check for compability i don't know right now.

thx for helping out.

p

Hi,

Why are you plugging in SFP's that came with the apple cards into your switch and visa versa?

Hi again.

Yes, to me that was very logic, just like ethernet that should work fine.

As it turns out we didn't get the modules when the cisco-switch was delivered. I just learned that we should have been given 8 modules of some kind to use on the cisco switch?

p

Not all SFP's are the same no matter how hard vendors try to convince that they are. HP were not impressed to find out that the Brocade SFP's would not work in the Cisco switches. I bet they tried to do it on the cheap.

Stephen

Yes, i just learned it the hard way, : ) it was to easy to be true. So ppl: don't just listen to the selling guy..

: )

p

Just on a hunch have you removed the SFP and plugged them back in? I've received some line cards and got this message in the past. removing and reseating the SFP fixed the problem for *most* of these messages.

Hi M.

Thx for the tip, i did try it but it didn't do any good im afraid.

Regards.

p

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: