Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MDS9148 does not Recognise 6248 FI

Hi there

I cannot get an MDS 9148 to recognise and push zoning to a 6248 FI.

I have an MDS9148 (6.2.3) connected to a 6248 FI (2.1.2a). I am using DCNM 6.2.3.  I only have the base port license on the MDS, and the free version of DCNM. My reading of the documentation suggests that with that suite of product I should be able to see and manage the 2 SAN elements of the MDS and FI  (zoning etc etc) from the DCNM.

I have configured the FI in Switch mode, I want the MDS to do the zoning for both devices.

I have link up on the ports between the  FI and the MDS. There are 2 ports, configured as a port channel.

I have an EMC SAN connected to the FI. It is visible to the MDS.

I have an operational blade in the chassis. The MDS can see that too.

So the DCNM shows the whole network, but does not recognise the FI as a 6248, and so it will not allow me to configure and manage my zones across the 6248 either.

I have attached showing the view of the network from fabric A and Fabric B sides.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Anthony

6 REPLIES
Silver

first question, why FI in switched mode and not host mode ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

dynamoxxx

I have a SAN connected to the FI. When the FI was in host mode the ports would not come up. Once I put the FI in Switch Mode, I now have up links on the ports to the MDS (Uplinks) and the ports to the SAN (Storage Ports). 

Also, as far as I understand, if the FI is in EHM the FI is not a switch and  cannot be managed from the DCNM for zoning purposes.

Anthony

Silver

acallanan wrote:

dynamoxxx

I have a SAN connected to the FI. When the FI was in host mode the ports would not come up. Once I put the FI in Switch Mode, I now have up links on the ports to the MDS (Uplinks) and the ports to the SAN (Storage Ports). 

Also, as far as I understand, if the FI is in EHM the FI is not a switch and  cannot be managed from the DCNM for zoning purposes.

Anthony

In order to run FI in host-end mode you need to enable NPIV on the core switch, 9148 in your case. That is the simplest way to deploy UCS FI's. All zoning is done from the core swith, don't have to mess FI zoning.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx
Cisco Employee

Please note that DCNM uses SNMP to communicate to UCS.

Thus, same userid/password combo needs to be configured on UCS.

Note that ADMIN cannot be used since this is already used on UCS. You must choose a new Userid for

both MDS/UCS, i.e. dcnmuser, etc. to be used by DCNM for SNMP discovery.

On UCS you must also create a local userid credentials, same as the SNMP USERID with aaa/admin roles checked.

Then, you might have to delete the fabric on DCNM and rediscover using the newly created credentials.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Carlos

calopez2

Thanks for that tip. I had an SNMP user "dcnmuser", in the UCS, but not a local admin user. Once I did that I was able to discover the Fabric and have the ability to pick the Fabric or the MDS ports for zoning purposes. That is certainly an advance!

I seem to be 2 steps forward and 1 step back though. I have 2 other issues.

1. when I edit the zone and add some of the SAN ports into the zone, I can select either the fabric or the MDS SAN Switch A, connected to Fabric A (so far so good), I can select the ports I want (I will use WWNN later, but for now I am using port zoning), but when I apply I get an error

"SNMP: zoneMemberRowStatus.10.1.1.3:Permission denied or feature disabled- MP001-SANSW01 zoneMemberRowStatus.10.1.1.3 Failed to add 1 members out of 1"

2. I have 2 FIs and 2 MDSs. I cannot see the same thing on fabric B (MDS and FI) as I see on fabric A. I have reviewed the configs on the 2 MDS units. They appear to be identical. However, if I do a Discover on the second MDS, it takes a very long time, and if I try to discover the B FI, on its specific address, it is successfully discovered, but then a

"192.168.25.86 has already been discovered as Fabric_MP001-SANSW02. The original SNMP credential will be used and the version checking is skipped"

If I look at License Assignments i see 4 switches, the 2 MDS 9148s and the A 6248 with correct model numbers, and the B 6248 "Switch model unknown". For some reason the B fabric is behaving differently from the A fabric. I expected that I would be able to do the same thing on both sides.

Anthony

An update for anyone who may be interested.

I had a faulty management interface on my FI B, which meant that the box was not contactable by DCNM and could not be properly discoverd.

The main problem I had was that the MDS9148B had been configured for enhanced zone services. The 6248FI- B had not, so the discovery was not complete and t he zoning was also incomplete. Once the MDS was configured to have only basic zoning, the system was symmetrical, all links and VIFs correctly discovered and all zones working correctly.

Anthony

Views
Helpful
Replies