cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft iSNS compatibility?

jon.metzger
Level 1
Level 1

I'm exploring some options to integrate our Cisco MDS IPS-8 and 14/2 iSCSI gear with other iSCSI-capable hardware we own. In order to control target discovery I'm looking into various iSNS server implementations beyond what Cisco includes in SanOS. I've created an iSNS profile that specifies a Microsoft iSNS Server v3.0. My clients using the Microsoft iSCSI initiator software register fine with the Microsoft iSNS server. My EMC Celerra registers iSCSI targets with the Microsoft iSNS server. My Cisco MDS targets, however, all fail to register. There is no obvious error reported by the MDS switch, but I get this error in the Windows System Event Log:

Source: MSiSNS

Type: Warning

Event ID: 3

Description: iSNS encountered a protocol or other error with iSNS error code 0x00000006. The eventlog data contains the iSNS request that contains the protocol error.

The iSNS server never receives the registration. Has anyone seen this or know of any workarounds or fixes?

3 Replies 3

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 06 error is very generic and only means there was a query for something that wasn't there.

So, If the targets are not showing up, first make sure there is IP connectivity between the IP address on the GIGE interface and the ISNS server. So, ping from the server to the gige interface. If you ping from the MDS, make sure it doesn't get originated from the mgmt interface. If the IP is there, then verify that the ISCSI virtual targets are clearly configured as that is what will be registered. Then, if nothing else, shut the gigE interface, sniff that port and then no shut it. The registration process is a TCP session to port 3205 so it should be easily sniff-able.

dmcloon
Level 1
Level 1

I too have seen this registration error code 0x00000006 with Microsoft iSNS Server 3.0 and SAN-OS 1.3(4a) and 2.0(1b). It registers OK with SAN-OS 2.1(2).

jejoseph
Level 1
Level 1

show isns query int gig 1/1

and

debug isns trace might give more details.

If you wish you can open up a TAC case.