cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from Brocade 2800/ 3900 to Cisco MDS 9509

rvjay2007
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best procedure from migrating from Brocade 2800/3900/12000 to Cisco MDS 9509 especially connected to HP-UX and AIX server.

Without any Downtime I should be able to migrate these servers.

I thought about these options:

1. Use vgexport and vgimport or exportvg and importvg (AIX) after connecting to Cisco MDS. But this requires complete downtime on the application.

2. Take one path down or HBA down and switch the cable and vgextend the devices.

Please let me know if somebody has procedure.

I was successful in HP-UX server using the second options but I cant see all the LUNs. That might be array specific problem also.

If anybody has detailed procedure on migrating this scenario. please let me know.

We are using Persistent FCIDs on our MDS switches.

Thanks in Advance

8 Replies 8

aijazbeigh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have recently migrated from same environment but it was 2 seperate cities infact and on the whole Solaris was involved and we used Swing Server concept with planned application downtime.

First tell me if you are migrating in the same building or seperate buildings?

and also are you planning to migrate from Old Storage to New Storage or Storage/Disk Array wud be the same.do you have any connectivity b/w brocade & Cisco.also, which Volume manager software do you run over OS.how many HBAs are there in the servers.

Thanks...

they are in the same building.

It is connected to brocade now. We ran the fiber to connect to cisco

No there is no connectivity between brocade and cisco. We tested some time back and interoperability does not work properly. So we tried to isolate brocade envt.

every server has 2 HBAs. and native LVM. No veritas Volume manager

After connecting 1 cable from server HBA to Cisco S/w, why you are not able to see all LUNs, did you cross-check that...I mean HBA Configuration (max 256 LUNs) or Disk Array library driver to be installed on host side.if that can be sorted out, you can mirror the volumes across the disk arrays.are you using HDS Arrays? I don't know but what is vgextend command you are mentioning...

also did you take a reboot of server or is it online addition on new LUNs...

Also any how if you are not able to see all LUNs that is going to be an issue later as well for migration...pls cross-check that...

dmcloon
Level 1
Level 1

We have a "Migrating Storage on HP-UX Servers

To MDS Switches" doc,

http://cco.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps4358/c1244/cdccont_0900aecd8056b325.pdf

Sorry ! but do you have any Migration document like the same for Solaris Platform...Thanks in advance !! cheers...

No, we dont have one specifically for Solaris because unlike HP-UX, Solaris does not have any issue when the target FCID changes during a migration from Brocade,McData,etc to MDS.

After connecting 1 cable from server HBA to Cisco S/w, why you are not able to see all LUNs, did you cross-check that...I mean HBA Configuration (max 256 LUNs) or Disk Array library driver to be installed on host side.if that can be sorted out, you can mirror the volumes across the disk arrays.are you using HDS Arrays? I don't know but what is vgextend command you are mentioning...

also did you take a reboot of server or is it online addition on new LUNs...

Also any how if you are not able to see all LUNs that is going to be an issue later as well for migration...pls cross-check that

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: