cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mirror SAN over FCoE

mmacdonald70
Level 1
Level 1

I know that I'm getting a little ahead of technology but I'm working out an idea of using VMotion or VMWare HA to provide server redundancy between two datacenters. Unfortunately, one of the datacenters is offsite and connected over several L3 links.

Since my solution would require each VMWare server to access the same SAN space, I was thinking of using L2VPN extend a VLAN to the offsite data center and use FCoE to mirror the SAN space.

Since I am not much of a SAN guy, I was hoping that some of the more knowledgeable people here would let me know if this is possible.

17 Replies 17

Here is a GREAT presentation on FCoE by Dante Malagrino. I saw him give this presentation at EMC World 2008 and it answered a lot of my question.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le21/le34/emc/2008/post/docs/Driving_Toward_Unified_Fabric.pdf

I've gotten permission to post the other presentation on FCoE from EMC and will add it as an attachment to this posting. Feedback on these is desired/welcome and will be passed along.

I hope this helps to answer questions about FCoE.

Gary

FCoE

Gary,

I'm sorry that it took so long to reply to this. I haven't checked this thread until now.

I skimmed over the presentations and it does look great. I've read a lot about DCE and Unified fabric over the last year but these seem to sum it all up very well. I will read them more fully tomorrow. I assume that I can share these with my group to help with our drive to unify our data center fabric.

have you looked into RecoverPoint from EMC ?

great for DR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: