Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

modify existing zone and zoneset members

can anyone help me or guide a best document to edit/modify the existing zone and zoneset through CLI in mds 9509 fabric switch

12 Replies 12

I am not able to see how to add and delete the members in existing zone in the document, can you tell below mention command is correct for adding new device alias in existing zone?

Ex:

zone name ZONE_VM000ESX_CX4480x01_AB vsan 100

device-alias CX4480x01_B3

device-alias VM000ESX_HBA1

device-alias CX4480x01_A3

above is the example i am taking to modify.

adding new member in the exisitng zone (below commands are correct?):

switch(config)# zone name ZONE_VM000ESX_CX4480x01_AB vsan 100

switch(config-zone)# member device-alias CX4480x01_A0

switch(config-zone)# exit

How to delete "device-alias CX4480x01_A3" member from existing zone?

after this how to edit the zoneset to see the modifications done on above zone to apply in zoneset?

bhuvankumar kuppannagari wrote:

adding new member in the exisitng zone (below commands are correct?):

switch(config-zone)# member device-alias CX4480x01_A0

that looks good

to remove device-alias from the zone simply add "no" to "member device-alias CX4480x01_A0" command so it would be:

switch(config-zone)# no member device-alias CX4480x01_A0

i am not sure i am clear what you are asking but if you want to see the changes simply run

"sh zone vsan 100"

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

Thank you dynamoxxx,

now how to commit the changes made in zone so that it will refelect in active zoneset?

Below command on activating zoneset will apply the changes made in zone? or is there any other command?

switch(config)# zoneset activate name ZONE_VM000ESX_CX4480x01_AB vsan 100

Bhuvan

you got it

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

make sure to specify the zoneset name, not the zone name. You can see the zoneset name: sh zoneset vsan 100 | grep "zoneset name"

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

Ya sure i will take care of it, thank you

Need help on knowing how to create multiple zones and device alias at a time is there any script? because its taking so much of time to do manually on adding one by one zone and the members in it. Please give me a solution?

you will need to write a little script that will generate a file that you can copy to the switch. Something that will generate a file with these entries:

config t

zone name oracle-h0-vnx5700 vsan 14

member device-alias vnx5700-spa0

member device-alias oracle-h0

zone name oracle2-h0-vnx5700 vsan 14

member device-alias vnx5700-spa0

member device-alias oracle2-h0

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

so its just writing multpile stanza's of commands on a text document and then copy and paste into command terminal window?

There is no option of uploading created text template into switch interface through GUI/CLI?

I am not able to find command for how to delete zone, does below command work but as per my knowledge it disables the traffic? pls help...

switch(config)# no zone zone_name permit vsan 100

you can create a file with the commands and then simply scp/tftp directly into running-config, ie:

copy tftp://tftp-server-ip/newzones.txt running-config

don't forget to "copy run start" after that

To delete a zone from the switch completly

no zone name oracle-h0-vnx5700

if you want to remove a zone from the active zone set

zoneset name ZonesetName vsan 10

no zone name oracle-h0-vnx5700

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

Hi Dear, 

I have to modify a device-alias name, and this device-alias name is in use in 100+zones. 

I don't see an option\method to update device-alias name, what I see is I have to delete the device-alias first and then recreate the new device-alias and then update all 100+ zones for the new device alias.

This is definitely time consuming method, is there a way I can run this via script?

if I copy all the commands in a text file then I copy the file to bootflash, then how to execute the entire script. 

it will have multiple commands. 

Appreciate your support. Kindly advise.

Also if the zoneset needs to be activated after each zone update, or we can update the zoneset using below command after all zones are updated. 

zoneset activate name FABRIC_A_Zoneset9 vsan 9 ; zone copy active-zoneset full-zoneset vsan 9 ; copy r s

Appreciate your advise and support.

Regards,