Views
Helpful
Replies

new to Cisco

co_alpine
Level 1
Level 1

Background-

I am making the move from managing a DEV SAN system to a true production system, which includes moving from workgroup switches to a director class switch. We are going to go with the 9500 family as I am not sure what is going to happen to McData/Brocade, like everyone else.

Question -

I have not been a Cisco user so I need to start learning the SAN-OS and other aspects of the Cisco tools. Can you all please recommend a few good books to get me started, as well as which is the first Cisco certification that I should look at.

Thank you in advance

3 Replies 3

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

I would of course recomend Long's book on Storage Networking Protocols.

I also have found the CCO documentation and configuration cookbook extremely helpfull.

here is the link to the 3.0 docs http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/mds9000/3_0/index.htm

I would also recomend the following classes, either in person, or video on demand.

MDS 9000 Configuration and Troubleshooting (MDSCT)

Cisco MDS Storage Networking Fundaments (CMSNF)

Cisco Advanced Storage Implementation and Troubleshooting (CASI)

Cisco Storage Network Design Essentials (CSDE)

Cisco Multiprotocol Storage Essentials (CMSE)

--Colin

thank you for the help Colin, I will check that book out.

also, do you get much help also looking at the CCNA stuff? I have read that some poeple do that to help with the cisco language.

-Chadd

Getting your CCNA wouldn't be a bad idea. It will definately help you out if you have to set up FCIP or ISCSI.

For learning there is plenty out there to help you study for your CCNA. It has been many years since my CCNA, but I have used Thompson / netg (knowlegenet) for many of my other course with great succes.

--Colin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: